Two young students considering very simple business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Carlise, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Carlise

Carlise
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, I am seeking some basic advice on starting a simple computer repair business. I'll briefly explain our situation:

We are two second year computing students, who are very tech-savvy, with a fair amount of experience repairing issues on family and friends' computers. We both currently work depressing part time jobs on minimum wage for large companies, and while we recognise that we are lucky to even have these in such an economic climate, we'd like to become more independent.

Our basic plan is to distribute flyers and business cards throughout the neighbourhoods of the city in which we live, being totally upfront about who we are and what we can do. As we are not professionals in the field, and certainly lack experience, we intend to market ourselves as a very cheap option for simple tech repair issues.

We can travel around the city by either car or bike, out into the suburbs and poorer neighbourhoods, where people are less inclined to pay for professional repair. We intend to fix simple things like "my internet isn't working", virus issues etc, while being very careful to do no harm. Since technology has become more widespread, yet people (round here, at least) do still not seem to be technically literate, we see an opportunity to get into the market this way.

Now, what we are seeking advice on:

Is it necessary, legally speaking, for us to go through all the proper channels and seek proper business advice before starting this? Or could we simply do it as a cheap cash-in-hand job, at least until we get enough clients for it to become legitimate?

It's very early days yet, but we want to get out there and see where this takes us. Any general advice you may have is very welcome.

Cheers,
    Carl

2. 2misi.com

2misi.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your business plan is good, both of you have thought through the promotion stage. I think that with skill as well as a simple business plan,you can proceed to the actual business stage.
    There is no harm in trying out your business idea, if it is successful you can get more customers through advertising.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Carl, that would be my approach to be honest. Once the business is up and running you can then register it for tax etc. Once thing you should be conscious of however is insurance. For example, you want to be covered if you damage someone's computer, their data or even their premises while you are there.

It sounds like a nice idea and you will learn a tremendous amount by implementing it.