Two website design Business' working together

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by sdbusiness, May 24, 2012.

1. sdbusiness

sdbusiness
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there,

I need some advice regarding the legality of my business and another within the same field. I will to include all details so you can understand the situation better.

I have worked with website programming for many years now, and after leaving a business late last year I set up my own partnership venture for website design. (I carried out the programming work and the partner carried out graphical design work). It has come to a point where the partner now wants to leave the business, and I am going to set up as a sole trader instead under the old business name.

Now, there is another website design company (I say company, they too are a sole trader) who offer very similar services to myself but they only deal with the graphical and CSS side of website development and at the moment they contract the programming work out to me to do. We have worked very well together on projects. I like the way this is currently run, I am allowed to offer my services through my own side of the business while also getting custom from their side and I'm sure its vice versa for them.

I do not really want to merge the two business' together to create one single business, as I like being my own boss and having control over all my finances and marketing. I have also put a lot of work into my own side of this so far and don't really want to give that up. How, legally, could we both work together as two separate sole traders, one of us carrying out the graphical/css side of the website and the other carrying out the programming side of the websites?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. paul01

paul01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As per my perspective you can share your business ideas about css and design and then apply new ideas in your business without any collaboration and merging of business.

3. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hi there. There's not much of a problem for you right now on your situation - but think about this - how long could you operate on your own as a sole trader? Time will come that you will need a partner or someone else to help you. As you grow, so your services and business are.

If you think it's not yet the time to have some partnership and still wants to be your own boss, then it's not your time to. But remember that you have to see further considerations and factors that will help you grow your business. Merging doesn't mean you will have a boss higher than you - it's about merging because of your services alike. You just have to clarify to both on what are your limitations and scope when it comes to handling financial breakdowns, projects, etc.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
    Mark T

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Businesses work together like this all the time and there really shouldn't be any legal difficulties involved in you working with someone else. One way you could do it is that one party / business owner bills the client and then pays the other business owner for the services they provided.

Is there anything in particular that concerns you or that you are not sure about?

5. jessicabrown

jessicabrown
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agree with Mark. You cant handle business alone, see if you want to be owner of company its ok, but keeping others as partners not going to harm you. Partners are very important to handle tough situation while running a company or business.
    Merging doesnt going to take your boss position, if you have capabilities then whereever you go you only will lead the situation & work.