Twitter To Introduce Changes That Could Have A Dramatic Impact On Small Businesses

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by driansmith, Mar 17, 2013.

1. driansmith

driansmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Twitter are about to introduce changes that could well have a dramatic impact on small businesses.

Changes to Twitter means the company is applying a new field to tweets that will enable tweets to be ‘filtered’ in future. This could allow for a ranking procedure to take place and only the top tweets OR PAID tweets will be seen in the feed.

http://www.consultancymarketing.co....-on-tweets-likely-to-injure-small-businesses/

• Like Like x 1
  2. Picture

Picture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

On what kind of small businesses do you think this will affect? I fail to see how Twitter is really that useful for marketing a small business.

3. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am not a regular or frequent user of Twitter But I think this change can bring a big impact. The "filtered" thing can also reduce spams too.

4. Biz

Biz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Since only top tweets or paid tweets will be seen, that will make (small business) paid tweets more visible?

5. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Generally the changer is more towards the way to increase company revenue. The change could be similar to Facebook, pay to promote post.

#5 altcom, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  6. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If paid or promoted tweets are going to be on top then i can see where twitter is headed. Much like what facebook did. However, this would also result in reduced usage as people will start getting bored of seeing only paid content.

7. driansmith

driansmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Surprising question Picture. I would suggest twitter is an excellent system to help promote small businesses. Especially when tied into your business blog.

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

I agree, Rocky, with the comparison with Facebook. Not sure about the " result in reduced usage as people will start getting bored of seeing only paid content" statement though. If advertising is kept under control then the end result could simply be a reduction in garbage.

8. RaySaj2

RaySaj2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Twitter for small business is a good tool for communication be it with customers or other entrepreneurs who have a good synergy with yours but to expect it to be a direct sales channel is false.......

the situation in which twitter finds itself in is that it needs to find ways to actually make money and what better way to make money than guest posts and so on......

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

sponsorship is at the heart of the twitter business model and they know as well that bigger brands are more likely to create a "buzz" and get people communicating and sharing a lot more...surely needs to be seen...........

9. rises5544

rises5544
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Twitter is a great source for engaging community towards your niche.There are lots of different techniques that been used by people for getting traffic from twitter.