Twitter have been Hacked?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by GekiDan, Dec 18, 2009.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not long ago, we received reports that TwitterTwitterTwitter was hacked. If the screenshots are indication, someone got past Twitter’s defenses. The apparent organization responsible is the “Iranian Cyber Army.”

Here’s what we know: Less than an hour ago, Twitter was changed to the screenshot you see below (thanks Chris and others for the images). Not long after this, Twitter and the status blog were taken down.

[​IMG]

For one of the world’s most popular websites to be compromised and taken down, even for a few minutes, is a big problem. This type of thing should never happen, regardless of who is to blame.

Source: http://mashable.com/2009/12/17/not-good-twitter-hacked/

After Facebook, now Twitter. So who's next?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That really is shocking GekiDan, thanks for sharing it with us. You'd have to believe that those hackers are very sophisticated if they can do that to a major site like Twitter. Whatever next?

This will be a serious embarrassment for Twitter and should be a warning to every webmaster that you can never take security issues too seriously. Unfortunately attacks like this are extremely damaging to confidence in the online industry and make it more difficult for legitimate people to do business online.

3. nirose

nirose
    uix_expand uix_collapse

WoW. didn't know about this. i Hope they update their security features

4. Nathan

Nathan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Apparently Twitter is very unsecure. A few months back allegations were made that an admin account was using the password: "Administrator".

5. simple

simple
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Danm, that scuks. I hope they will fix the hole.

6. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow.. thats scary. Someone hacked my email and orkut account once and deleted them - I was without any way to contact my clients and this really hampered my business. I now keep all email ids as backup. Hacking is terrible. Gee, can't imagine it happening with our good ol Twitter.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I didn't really experience those a couple of days ago.
    I just noticed that I can't open Twitter. I have done almost anything and still I can't open it for a couple of hours. When it got back, I saw a tweet coming from Mashable about what really happened.

8. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

lol cant believe it was that vulnerable :D

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, Facebook was hacked a couple of months ago. So it's not that shocking...

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Twitter is still extremely active, so it doesn't appear that this security breach has caused any major loss of confidence in their service.

11. samklein

samklein
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Let's the hope the next target is another meaningless social media site and not, say, the Department of Defense. I think they'd be a lot more willing to use missiles to convey their discontent.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A frightening thought indeed. Sounds similar to what the hacker did in the War Games movie.

13. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Twitter have been knows to be unsafe, apparently an admin password once was Administrator, which I read somewhere.

But like Fergal said it hasn't really had an affect on them, its not like Twitter themselves got hacked, it was the DNS's that where changed on the domain.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Imagine if they had succeeded in getting full ownership of the domain. It would be worth an absolute fortune. It could have been similar to the theft of the sex.com domain name.

15. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But do you think that they could of? And Twitter could never get it back? Surely the domain registers would give it back.

The issue of sex.com looks confusing, and not like it would happen nowadays, or am I wrong?

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hopefully you are right Keaton and that it is not something that could happen today. However, if someone got control of the domain there could be a lot of damage done and money lost, before the original owner could go through the legal process to get the domain back.

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is what you are talking about similar to the WHOIS problem?
    A certain website that I am visiting regularly experienced this problem. We members can't access their site by typing the domain name. Instead, we use a IP Address to access the site.

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm not familiar with that problem GekiDan, did the website owner lose control of their domain? They will certainly lose a lot of visitors if the site can only be visited by entering an IP address.

19. eka_black

eka_black
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yeah twitter has fixed that problem it's not take long time after the attack has begun

20. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I really didn't know the exact reason. THe only reason they posted on the site itself is a WHOIS problem. It started when some kind of a domain that is redirected ro their site but that domain is untrusted...