TV Ads Most Helpful - 46% Ignore Banner Ads

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A recent report by Harris Interactive and AdWeek Media revealed that Americans found TV ads to be the most helpful type of advertising, when it comes to influencing their purchasing decision.

Internet banner ads faired worst in their survey, with 46% of respondents saying that they ignore them. Looking at this in a positive light we can see that 54% are influenced by online banner ads. That's a lot of potential customers who's purchasing decisions are being influenced by banner ads.

What can you do to make your banner ads more helpful to website visitors?

2. ZakShow

ZakShow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well, it's a real problem right now.. I have some websites with more than 500 UV per day and they hardly get 10 to 15 clicks per day despite that the ads are well placed and blended. People intend to ignore ads and there is no solution except that the advertisers improve their services in order to give the ad clickers a better experience.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Banner ads have value in addition to the click throughs they generate. Similar to TV, billboard and magazine ads that obviously don't have click throughs, banner ads help build brand awareness by displaying the company name and logo. It's unfortunate that website owners often only get paid for the number of times that a banner gets clicked on their site and that they don't get paid for the brand awareness that they help create.

That's 20 - 30 clicks per thousand visitors, which is quite a good result for the advertiser, given that their potential customers are actually taking an action to find out more about their product or service. I wonder what percentage of viewers of a TV or newspaper ad actually complete an action in follow up to the ad, I'd imagine it's much less than 20 - 30 per thousand.