Turning Stress into SUCCESS!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by gtt, Apr 5, 2010.

1. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everyone!

We know that stressful situations (both personal and professional) sometimes show up when we least expect it. I'd like us to tackle in this topic and share our experiences on how to deal with and get ourselves off from stressful circumstances.

Let me start by saying great and effective things (based on my own experience) about addressing stress which I've always been pulling myself through with ease:

1. I acknowledged the unchangeable — Everything that has happened in our lives is unchangeable so it should be our learning process and consider that success must be the only acceptable form of revenge.

2. I learned to change the changeable — What we can change is our reaction to what others say and do. We can control our own thoughts and actions by dwelling on the desired results instead of the penalties of failure.

3. I learned to avoid the unacceptable — Go out of your way to get out of the way of potentially dangerous behaviors and environments. When people tailgate you on the freeway, change lanes. If they follow you at night, drive to a well-lighted public place.

Most importantly, I always learned to consider and acknowledged a stressful circumstance simply being a challenge to myself.

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good points there Gerry. Your post reminds me of the serenity prayer that I previously mentioned in our quotes thread.

3. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal. I'm pleased to learn about this quote.

4. OneLife

OneLife
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dealing with Stress.

My opening gym routine involves 40 minutes going for it on an exercise bike, it is painful and it is sweaty! I will never beat the bike, and I will never beat the pain, but accepting that and doing it anyway brings huge benefits in terms of a physical and psychological boost.

Stress is the same, it is always there and always will be, when you accept you can't beat it and just get on with the job at hand or solving the problem then it will become a motivator. I find myself seeking out stressful situations so I get the high when I get through them... It is just a matter of re-framing a situation.

Hope this helps.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Very interesting, I've generally tried to eliminate stress. Next time I'm beginning to feel a little stressed I will try your approach and see how it works out.

6. dvduval

dvduval
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is also one thing to look forward to about aging. You tend to become better at managing stress.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice post! Sometimes it's seeing what is changeable and what isn't that makes the biggest difference. Just because something has always been done a certain way, or tackled from a particular perspective, does not mean the process is set in stone. That's why I like being at places like BAF. I know my way isn't necessarily the best, most productive way and interacting with others is the quickest route to discovering that.

8. OneLife

OneLife
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Stress

Hi Fergal

I spent a long time trying to eliminate stress, it turned into drinking and smoking! What I realized is that our chosen profession of entrepreneurship will always deliver stress in some quantity, even success brings its own stresses.

Recognizing stress and having non-destructive strategies to deal with it is the key. I chose exercise, now I don't smoke and hardly drink and stress is just a part of the day.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Exercise works great for me too OneLife. I've been jogging recently and I really feel energised after a jog, getting out in the fresh air and getting the blood pumping is a great stress reliever. Hundreds of years ago, stressful situations usually resulted in a fight or flight response, e.g. going into battle or hunting for food. Nowadays we often have the stress without the exercise and finding a sport or activity you enjoy, is a great way to counteract that.

10. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

very correctly said.i would rather sum up this way,"flow with the situation and do not fight it"

11. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that dealing with stress is a matter of horses for courses. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another but my advice would be:

1) Exercise regularly and get plenty of rest/sleep

2) Be organised

3) Keep focusing on your objectives

4) Avoid unnecessary stressful situations

5) Have a positive outlook in life. If you think/say something negative then think/say 2 things that are positive

6) Look at any mistakes you make as being feedback

7) Get things into perspective

8) Never feel guilty. If you do you best then that's all that counts

9) Have the opinion that you win some, you loose some as long as you win more than you loose

10) Be confident. Keep reminding yourself of your achievements and when you need to, repeat positive affirmations to yourself

Mike Dove (free local agony uncle)

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Some great suggestions there Lingua21, thanks for that.

That's a great tip, I'll make a conscious effort to put that into practice from this moment on. It reminds me of the excellent tip by Shawn Lim in this thread, quoted below;

I read before that only the good feel guilty, people that are not so good generally always think that they are right and that they are entitled to do what suits them, regardless of how it affects other people.

13. rehan507

rehan507
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Stress has been always a problem for me.
    I feel very stressed after a little bit of hard work.
    After reading your post,i believe that i will improve in this manner.

14. SummEr101

SummEr101
    uix_expand uix_collapse

never thought about it but it can happen. Your boss will tend to see how persevere you are in doing your work and once he notice you will be rewarded believe me.