Trying to get as many pre-orders in as possible

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by superdupertoys, Oct 14, 2012.

1. superdupertoys

superdupertoys
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi

I began selling toys about 3 months ago. First I was selling at a local market every week, the money wasn't good but I managed to save up enough to buy some RC cars.
    In total I bough 27, and began to sell them on facebook. It probably took me about 2-3 weeks but I managed to sell them all Alhamdulillah. As well as this I stocked a few toy guns, which also sold. After that I bought 24 minis, most of which I sold wholesale.

Anyway, I have just opened up a new website called superdupertoys.net
    The official launch is on the 22nd of october, so I am trying to get as many pre-orders as possible. I've been posting all over facebook today, but so far not even one order.
    Is there anyway I can get more traffic to my site?
    I don't mind working hard if I can get results, but I don't want to waste my time spending hours doing something which will earn me nothing. As the business is so new, I was hoping to get some advice from more experienced business people

Kind Regards
    Naail

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Naail and well done on the sales success you have already achieved.

You have achieved some success with direct sales offline and that appears to be working for your business. Perhaps you should focus on those sales and on building that side of your business. At the same time you could build your website up slowly and communicate the website address to all your offline customers. In that way they will hopefully visit your site if they decide to purchase more of your products.

One thing that is missing from your site is a <title> tag, which is very important for your site's SEO. All I see there at the moment is the word "Home", you should have something there that your potential customers might search for, when looking for toys like the ones you sell.

You might find it helpful to have a look through our Featured Sales & Marketing, Online Promotion & SEO Threads to get some information on promoting your site.

Good luck with it all and hopefully some of our other members will reply with helpful suggestions for you.

3. superdupertoys

superdupertoys
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Although you are to be commended for wanting to start your own business, you've got quite a ways to go before you are ready to set up a website. At the moment, I see only 7 toys on your website, not enough to have a business people are going to come to. You need to have a greater variety and number of items to make your website worth visiting. I am also concerned about your policy to "reserve the right to give, or not o give a refund under any circumstances". This is also not customer-friendly, and will discourage many potential customers.
    You are supposed to launch in a week. let's take a look at what you have. You have a poorly designed website with only 7 items, you do not have a physical address anywhere on your website, and anyone who buys from you may, or may not, get a refund if they are not satisfied. Under those circumstances, even if you did get more traffic, it is highly unlikely that anyone would buy from you.
    You are not going to be ready to launch in a week. You need to find another way to sell the items you have, build up your inventory, and then have a website designed that would encourage people to buy from you. You said you don't want to waste your time spending hours doing something that will earn you nothing. If you launch on the 22nd of October, I'm afraid that may be what you are doing.

5. superdupertoys

superdupertoys
    uix_expand uix_collapse

joeroxx I actually had forgotten about the contact us page, because I was focusing so much on the shop, and on advertising the website. I agree with you that it was pretty rubbish, so I have updated, hopefully it's slightly more readable now.
    As with regards to our catalogue, I am in the process of uploading more products, but I am not sure I agree that someone would not purchase from me purely because I was not offering 100's of items for sale.
    And finally, how is my website "poorly designed"? How would you suggest I made it look more professional?
    I though the website looked quite nice, and so did a couple of other people, but maybe they were just being polite.

Kind Regards
    Naail

#5 superdupertoys, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I did notice that you have now specified that returns must be damaged or faulty, but you still decide whether(note spelling) or not to grant a refund after the item is returned. Granted, the most expensive item is only 15 pounds, but when a customer returns an item, especially if it is defective or broken, they have the right to receive a refund. I also wonder why the shipping and returns information is on the "contact" page.

You don't need to have "100's of items", but you should still have a greater variety. You now have only 3 Toy Weapons, 3 RC cars, 1 novelty, 1 bubble toy, and no girl's toys. Also, when I click on the categories in the "Browse All" list, RC has no items and girl's toys has none. Since you are a small business and are just starting out, I would like to see at least 6 items in each category(in the interest of full disclosure, I just picked out that number, there is no research to show that is the number you should have). As far as my opinion that no one would buy from you, that was a combination of factors, not just the quantity of items being sold.

You could right about people being polite. To see what your website should look like, search a phrase you think people would use to find what you sell, like "children's toys uk", and take a look at the websites listed there. Make sure you are looking at businesses similar to yours, not the national chains. These are the companies you are competing with. As regards your own website, there is one problem I noticed. Is the "Free Uk Shipping" with the arrow supposed to be a link? On your homepage, I would add some content to tell people what you offer, and why they should shop at your site. As for the website in general, I would get rid of the "typewriter" font(I know, what's a typewriter?), and dress up the site - use brighter colors, as you did in your logo, put a navigation bar along the top, and use radio buttons in your category list. As I mentioned before, take a look at your competitors for some ideas. You're in a very competitive niche, do something to separate yourself from the crowd.

• Like Like x 1
  7. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe start a online business, with a software called 3DCart, if you find a warehouse that gives you dealer prices on products might the best way. About 3months ago I started to help this guy build a business selling rc cars. It was going really well while I was in charge of the site. Sadly when I let him take over he let it go down hill and now there is nothing left of it and he closed down. It was kinda disappointing, but that might be a good way to start out.

8. superdupertoys

superdupertoys
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi

Thank you for all of the replies. I have made some changes to website, however I think I'll take Fergal's and Joeroxx's advice, and postpone the launch for a few months until I have earnt enough money for a larger catalogue of products.

Thank You
    Naail

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Even if you do postpone the launch, you might still keep the website up and give the domain name to people you make sales to. That way they will see that you are serious about your business and moving it forward.

10. Leon

Leon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

superdupertoys,

As much as having a successful online business depends on the content of your website and your catalogue of products, of course it depends on advertising just as much so. If I were you, I would try some offline promotion of your business website URL. Try going down to your local printers and getting a cheap deal on some flyers or business cards. Then go to your local supermarket and ask them if you can leave your flyers on the counter/in a business card racket. This is made much easier for you if you're known as a local and the cashiers know you, they're more likely to let you do it and turn a blind eye.

Of course though, I would first work on developing your catalogue of products on your website before you turn to promotion of the site. :)

11. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I visited your site and saw some things that are missing that could probably help you out in getting pre-orders.

1. On the lowest part of your home page, it notes " Get your orders in, in time for our launch on the 22nd of October"
    - one thing you could add on this part is your contact or business tel. # [if you have]
    - an email address for your business or personal if you want

2. Not enough details about your website / page.
    - it might be common sense that your page is all about toys that you sell, but probably adding a detailed information, rather than just a short phrase sentence in your contact us page would be better.

3. Research more about CTA's [call-to-actions] that you can add to your page.

Regards,
    Mark T

• Like Like x 1
  12. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dear Naail, I checked site right now. Your not making it a store, online shop. Its looks like a pictures site for toys. Change the site looks and give it a professional shop look.

13. superdupertoys

superdupertoys
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi

Sorry for the late reply to everyone, I have been quite busy the past couple of weeks. Fergal, I intend to keep the site up and continue paying for the domain. I also plan to update it with new products as I get them, but thank you for the advice. There is nothing more discouraging then a dead website or blog.
    Thank you for the tips Mark, I will try to make the site more friendly and professional in the coming weeks Inshallah.
    Printingray I understand what you mean, I'll see what I can do but I am not too keen on completely re-modelling the selling pages on my site.

Kind Regards, and thank you everyone for the advice
    Naail

14. superdupertoys

superdupertoys
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you Leon, I was actually in the process of making a catalogue for my website, with the logo at the top and a phone number so people can call me up and order. I could post it in my local area, this way I can deliver the orders myself and build up some awareness of my website. I am already doing this on facebook, and people come back to me for more toys Alhamdulillah.
    I have recently just ordered a wide variety of different RC cars of different scale. I have spent every last penny I earned and a bit more on the box.

I'll try to keep everyone updated!