Transport business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by RomanK, Jul 18, 2009.

1. RomanK

RomanK
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a list of questions regarding transport business (transportation of goods and other stuff):

1) How much does the construction of a ship cost in average?

2) How much does ship/plane purchasing cost?

3) How much does it cost to take a ship/plane on lease ?

4) What companies lead in transport industry? Is the level of competition high?

5) Is transport business really profitable?

Thank you for the attention.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum RomanK and thanks for asking your transport related business questions. Can you please give us a little background as to why are you seeking this information, are you planning on starting your own transport business?

What country are you located in, prices depend on where you are located, for example costs will differ between India and the US?

It will be difficult for you to find out ship construction costs, because the major ship manufacturere will not be keen on giving out this information. They will tell you what they can sell you a ship for but they will probably be reluctant to share their construction costs.

The easiest way to find the costs to purchase or lease would be to contact various suppliers in your country and get quotations from them. You need to be careful that they are all quoting for the same or at least a similar product or service. It is difficult for us to give you purchase and lease costs because it will depend so much on your exact requirements in terms of ship or plane size and spec, duration of lease, etc.

Competition in the transport and shipping industries is quite high, although it does depend on where you are located. The larger players in the industry would include http://fedex.com/, http://www.ups.com/ and http://www.dhl.com.

The transport industry in Ireland has been finding business difficult, resulting from the recession. Their client companies are struggling and experiencing a drop in sales. Hence, they are not shipping as much product and their transport requirements are falling. This obviously negatively affects the profitablility of transport businesses and it serves to make the industry even more competitive, as there is less business to go around. Perhaps the situation is a little different in the country you are from?

Have you got a niche in mind that might be profitable for you?

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi RomanK. Welcome to the Business Advice Forum. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

I've also read some news about the transport industry being hit by the global recession and some cargo airlines have gone out of business. Are you thinking of starting an international transport business RomanK? In my honest opinion, I think it would be good to start small first like transporting goods locally. When business picks up and you think that it's time to expand, then that's the time that you should do so.

4. RomanK

RomanK
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for the warm greeting!

Currently I live in Russia, but this summer I travel to Southeast Asia, where I will study as an international student at one of American universities. Later on, I am planning to continue to travel, so my actual location is a subject to constant change. I need this information to analyze and give a rate to this industry, as it interests me, but I am afraid my time and money resources (the most essential to me) may not justify themselves. If I enter this business, I will most likely work worldwide, so I'll need to explore most of countries of the world. But as for my questions, I asked about both developed and developing countries.

It's highly doubtful that I will someday come back to Russia, as it's very strict to small business and protects only national companies. Besides, I have very differnet political views, so that may get me into trouble.

As for the construction costs, aren't there any articles or historical facts about what it takes to build a ship or plane? And, are there any web sites about transport business?

I am just speculating on different fields trying to choose one that suits me most. I wonder if there are any undeveloped and less competitive industries left. I am also looking for the fast moving business.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

RomanK here's a page on Boeing's website with some details on the prices of their jet planes. Anyone have $50 - 200 Million to spare?

You can find some good sites on the transport industry here & here.

Where abouts in SE Asia will you be travelling to?

Good luck with everything and please keep us updated on your progress?

6. RomanK

RomanK
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks a lot!

Thailand, in one month.

Looks like it will cost me a lot of money. Shall I firstly start get then on lease before the expansion? Or maybe I should get a job in one of these companies? However, the latter one will take a lot of time and, therefore, I won't be able to start my own business eaarly enough.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good luck in Thailand RomanK.

I'd suggest that you might do some research on the transportation industry and find a niche within the market and expand from there. For example, you could consider becoming a shipping broker or apply the same brokerage concept to transport in general.

You could even start your own transport industry related website or blog, while you are still at college.

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Getting a job in one of these transport companies is also a good idea. While working there, you'll build up on your knowledge about this business and at the same time, your confidence on starting this business will also grow. Right now you need all these: Knowledge, Experience and Confidence. At the same time, you will also meet like-minded individuals there who might also want to join you when you start your business endeavor.

9. marrie

marrie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Start a Public Transport Business Plan. A public transportation business is a major operation. There are city and state ordinances to consider as well as .Writing a Transportation Business Plan. Transportation are means or system of transporting from one place to other.Our new Transportation Business Plan has been written so that your Transportation Business will benefit from our unique advice.

10. Ayen Mahinay

Ayen Mahinay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it is a great business but very hard work

11. 1paket.com

1paket.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But if you want to earn money you have to work hard.

12. marrie

marrie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We have appreciated the Warehousing services of star distribution system. This company is not only depending on common Warehousing facilities, carriers or transportations services, pool distribution, LTL also included with its services. Their warehouse is more than modern and well organized to others. They can assurance our products will get in and out without delay.
    Tampa Warehousing