Topic for Dissertation

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Keira, May 8, 2010.

1. Keira

Keira
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everybody,

I need help. i will write my dissertation in a few months. i am studying international management. but actually i don't know about what i could write a dissertation.
    i hope for advises.

thank you very much.

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there and welcome to Business Advice Forum. :) Keira, could you share some more information on what the guidelines or rules are for your dissertation please? It's not easy to make a suggestion if we don't know the parameters that have been set. Thanks!

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Keira, thanks for joining. When I was doing my degree I also found it quite difficult to chose a dissertation topic. You will be spending a lot of time on your dissertation so it is worth making the effort to chose a good topic.

A useful approach is to try to focus on something that particularly interests you. Are there any subjects that you particularly enjoy and are there any topics within those subjects that really interest you?

What do you plan on doing when you finish college? Perhaps you could complete a dissertation related to a career option that you might pursue.

Have you any plans to set up a business of your own, perhaps a part time business? The fact that you will be doing so much research on your dissertation, could represent an excellent opportunity to research a business idea.

Please do post back with your thoughts and we will be as helpful as possible.

4. Keira

Keira
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Kay,

thanks for your request. first of all some information about myself: i live in germany and study international business. the topic for my dissertation should be a recent (for about 3 years) business problem in germany. i have to do a primary research and a secondary research, therefore Germany!!
    the area is too big, so i am actually confused i don't know what to do?!

i am interested in luxury products and/ or fashion, so it could be something in this area.

i also thought about germany and its macro environment, especially its imports. since a few years Germany increased its imports from Japan, and this fact had/have/and will have negative impacts on the German Industry because Germany ceases manufacturing, this may lead to more unemployment... and so on..
    but i don't know what to analyse in this topic.

Hope for help and thank you very much.
    Greeting Keira

Dear Fergal,

also thanks for your request. as you could see from the mail to kay, i am interested in fashion and luxury.
    but regarding to my career: i am planning to go to another country and work there in industry, in a good company - as a manager ( my dream and my aim :)) ).
    as a manager you should be able to solve business problems.. maybe in corporate management, controlling... my study is focused on marketing, it could also be a marketing problem.
    hope this could help you to give me advises. thanks again.

greetings keira

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Heck, I don't know anything about German business at all Keira, sorry. I think seanstevens is among your best bets for advice as he's in both Freising and the UK.

Good luck with it and sorry I couldn't be of more help. Once you decide on something, I'll try pitch in with help at that point for anything that can be researched.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Keira what about a dissertation on "The impact of Japanese imports on the marketing strategies of German fashion producers / designers / retailers" or something along those lines? You could research how German companies are reacting to this new threat and what strategies they are putting in place to deal with a changed market. Just an idea, please post back with your thoughts and we will suggest more ideas.