Top 5 SEO Mistakes to Avoid.

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by magician661, Sep 11, 2009.

1. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mistake 1 - Targeting the wrong keywords Many clients in ASIA I do SEO audits for are focusing on the wrong keywords. Choosing the right keywords is the single most important step of an SEO Strategy. What you think is the right keyword, might not be the keyword used by your users. E.g. if you market yourself as a Design Institute, be prepared that your users search for you under Design ‘School’ instead of ‘Institute’. Also, don’t target keywords that are too generic, like ‘Design’. This keywords returns 1,310,000,000 search results and it will be hard (or expensive) to compete in such a broad category. Going for the wrong keywords will waste your precious time and money on your SEO campaign, the wrong keywords will bring the wrong customers to your website, which is a mistake you cannot afford to make. Make sure you use Keyword Suggestion Tools and don’t assume you have all the answers.

Mistake 2 - No keywords in the web content If your website content does not contain the keywords people in ASIA type in to look for you, the search engine will not be likely to refer any traffic to your website and your other SEO efforts will be wasted. Also, once your desired customer lands on your webpage but does not read there what she is looking for, she will click away. When you have found the right keywords you must make sure you include those keywords on your web pages. Ultimately it’s the content that sells your website/product. So make sure it’s easy to read and has the right keywords. Make the keywords bold so they stand out!

Mistake 3 - Ignoring the importance of tags Those same keywords must be put in all the Tags. Tags are where search engines look and if there are no tags they’ll pass right by your web pages. So not putting in the right keywords in your tags is a deadly SEO mistake!

* The most important tag is your Title Tag so put your most important keywords here.
    * Next in order of importance are your Header Tags (i.e. H1, H2, H3 etc.)
    * Images may look good, but the Search Engine cannot ‘read’ them. So make sure there is always a (keyword rich) text description behind every graphic
    * Bottom of the pecking order are Meta Tags. Don’t spend too much time on these descriptive texts as your ranking will not significantly go up because of it.

Mistake 4 - Focus on design over functionality Many Web Designers in ASIA like to build a Flash website. Flash might look good, but is not helpful for your SEO strategy, as search engines cannot index Flash content very well. If you want to rank highly on the search engines you must put equal energy in functionality as you do in your design. Make sure you provide a HTML alternative if you must have a flash website.

Mistake 5 - Not doing any SEO maintenance SEO is not something you can do only once, it’s a moving target. An optimised website will only remain optimised if;

* You keep on top of your Asian keyword research. Popular words change regularly and vary per country. New keywords mean you have to update your Tags and content and write new articles!
    * Search Engines change their algorithms meaning you have to make changes accordingly.
    * Your competition is also targeting keywords and they may have found a highly converting keyword you have not yet thought about. If you want to be successful with your SEO strategy in Asia you must do regular maintenance. Don’t sit back and relax, the goal post will keep moving.

• Like Like x 3
  2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agree. Target keyword is very important, and keyword research is necessary for the SEO.
    Another SEO mistake is that the people target on single word as their keyword but not looking for the keyword phase. Keyword phase is better since the visitor is more targeted. Also, keyword phase has lower competitive compare to single keyword.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Google's Keyword tool is very helpful for anyone looking for some help to select their keywords.

Great tips there magician661, nice to see you back here.

4. amrapaliasia

amrapaliasia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Above alright and wonderful Article about top 5 search engine optimization SEO mistake but few of others such as hidden text and link, mirror image pages, canonical issue are also effecting website ranking.

5. MallofStyle

MallofStyle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very nice advice. Long tail keywords are better off. However with google hiding the keyword terms, it is becoming increasingly difficult to crack what is hitting. There are ways and means you can figure out, but that just increases the time spent.

6. Priyanka Sharma

Priyanka Sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ya agree with your tips but i have one ques. I am using all techniques off page for promoting my sites. Link quality are also good But still my keyword not ranked in search engine.
    I have check all tips provided by you. and in my website no mistakes but still facing problem in ranking can you help me.

7. tomkin1

tomkin1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As someone already mentioned, this advice seems incredibly simple and yet, I have yet to try some of these tips out myself. It took me forever to figure out where to even add taglines as I was pretty new at editing my website after a few months of having had a webmaster run it for me. When I realized I wasn't getting any traffic, I began to do my own research and learned that said webmaster simply created my website for me with the content that I provided and did little else to help me succeed.

As to number 4; I was talked into a Flash website and now I completely regret it. Friends have mentioned to me that it takes forever to load and some didn't even bother waiting for my site to load in order to give me feedback. Those were my own friends so, I can just imagine what a regular "joe shmo" would do. That's something that I have to work on and it will take me some time to find a legitimate web designer that I can put my trust and hard earned money into, to get the website that fits my niche best.

Thanks for the tips, they are much appreciated.

Tom

8. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

These can also be the things you would also need to consider when you are planing to create a website. Although meta tags they say aren't already used by google, still some search engines use them.

9. mprange

mprange
    uix_expand uix_collapse

These tips were published in 2009 and they are fully valid in 2014, as well. I guess some SEO tips will never get old, especially about keyword targeting which is the core of SEO.

10. campbelljof

campbelljof
    uix_expand uix_collapse

magician661
    Thanks for exploring great SEO tips. But as per my concern there is another point should be added that was
    Not Setting Up Canonicalization for Duplicate Content.

11. addialex

addialex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think most surprising mistakes made by many website owners is not having the content marketing plan for their website. Content marketing has been known as the New SEO by SEO experts.

12. Dewlance

Dewlance
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am agree with you. I still don't know why peoples from my country like Flash website.

Most of spend thousands of money on Flash site which not only create problem in browsing but also take 5 minute to load since speed of internet is slow in our country.

I see many peoples also try to add 20 to 30 keywords in their meta tag ;)

13. RickOldy

RickOldy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The main SEO mistake is when your business model is not consistent to your SEO purposes. You should understand your customers and target audience (at least it should be targeted). Then you should understand the desires of your audience and to start from the site development. Each function of the site before development and its structure should imply the further SEO purposes and the extensibility. your site should be prepared both for adding new content (the number and topics of the subsections should suit the targeted KWs, and the hierarchy of the spreading them on site too - from low frequent to high) and for the traffic increasing, as there are often problems when the site is not prepared for any traffic, or its structure is not optimal for further SEO.

14. David Paul

David Paul
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To the best of my knowledge these are the basic tips on SEO so during the current time period the strategy of SEO should be more updated. So here I would like to add some SEO points that must be followed in 2016.

1. Ensure high quality content
    2. Use SEO keywords
    3. Place keywords in your URLs
    4. Ensure mobile-friendly website
    5. Ensure quick loading time
    6. Promote your content
    7. Get rid of duplicate pages

So, there you have it! These 7 easy to follow tips will help you use your content marketing strategies in way that you’re able to boost your SEO ranking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. gbsnprz

gbsnprz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

According to Neil Patel, a renowned influencer in the field of SEO, keywords are not of importance anymore. The algorithm update of Google has actually changed the methods of SEO. What has become essential is giving quality content that informs, entertains, and relates the customer without explicitly selling your products and services. That's what you call Content Marketing -- it has become a trend, and I think, a better way to promote a good brand.

16. RickOldy

RickOldy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you mean under the promoting website? What methods of promotion will not damage the SEO characteristics and performance of the site? what the ratio of the the purchase of advertising and organic search should be there in your website? And what is the ratio also between the organic search and the social media network traffic?