Top 10 tips! For buying & selling domains.

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by angel888, Mar 21, 2011.

1. angel888

angel888
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hit there to all newbies on domains!
    I would like to share this article with you which /i have read recently! COz, this might help you in the future,

TOP 10 TIPS!
    1.First and foremost, be sure to not use registered or trademarked words or phrases that you do not own. Even misspelled versions will have you hearing from the legal trademark holder’s legal staff. Simply not worth the trouble.

2.Try to get a dot com. That is what is seared in visitors brains. If you buy less popular extension (.net, .org, .biz, .info) you risk visitors inadvertently remembering/reverting to the .com version and going to a potential competitor’s site. You don’t want a .net, .org, .biz, .info or other extension unless you can also own the dot com. Dot com already registered by someone else? Then get creative and find a .com that will work — then buy up the .net, .org, .biz, .info to prevent others from riding on your tailcoats.

3.Stay away from easily misspelled words. If you must use a word that is misspelled quite often by the masses, then register the misspelled version as well and have it mapped to your site. Don’t invent words that do not have mass appeal unless they are memorable and easy to spell. The last thing you want to do is have site visitors guessing what your domain means.

4.Sometimes your company name is not as catchy or as memorable as a name that can describe what you do in a unique way. If your company or name does not carry any branding weight, look for something more creative. Use TheIStudio.net to help you out during the brainstorming process. Just do a search for a domain and a bunch of alternates will be suggested.

5.Try to be as short as possible. The longer the domain name — the more room for typos. And, the longer your e-mail address.

6.Stay away from hyphenated domain names. If the dot com version of your desired name is not available without hypens — then find another domain name. No sense owning the dashed version if you do not own the non-dashed version. Folks will intuitively type the entire dot com — without the dash — and find a competitor.

7.Be opening to owning as many domain names that contain versions of your main domain, company name or product. In the future you can then use various domains for special promotions or for tracking purposes. Plus you then keep these domains out of the hands of your competitors.

8.Try to own the .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info of your desired domain. Keeps everything in one place and again, prevents competitors from owning version of your domain.

9. Register your domain for as long as you can afford. Search Engines are now looking at domain registration length as part of the criteria in ranking sites.

10.When registering, set all your domains to “auto-renew” so you don’t have to worry about losing your domains down the road if you miss the reminder e-mails.

Reference: from yahoo search! "domain tips"

2. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I love this post. Well said and well presented. I'm often amazed by how much you dictated each informations that we really needed. Nice one, thanks for sharing this to us.

3. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very nice post. I am very new to these and I was thinking of maybe trying to do this to get a little pocket cash. I thought number 8 was kind of interesting. I never thought of it that way

4. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Unfortunately, many "good" or "relatively good" domains, especially the .com extension, are already bought so you really need to be creative and lucky.