Top 10 Google Myths Revealed

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by GekiDan, Jan 28, 2010.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google is the Web's most popular search engine, powering not only the popular Google.com Website, but also Yahoo! and AOL. Being listed in Google is very important, and being listed highly in Google can bring great benefit to your site.

Myth 1: The Higher Your Google Page Rank (PR), the Higher You'll be in the Search Results Listing
    Myth 2: The Google Toolbar will List Your Actual Page Rank
    Myth 3: Page Rank is a Value Based on the Number of Incoming Links to Your Site
    Myth 4: Searching for Incoming Links on Google Using "link:" will Show you all Your Backwards Links
    Myth 5: Being Listed in the Open Directory Project Gives you a Special Page Rank Bonus
    Myth 6: Being Listed in Yahoo! Gives you a Special Page Rank Bonus
    Myth 7: Google Uses Meta Tags to Rank Your Site
    Myth 8: Google Will Not Index Dynamic Pages
    Myth 9: Google Will Not List Your Site, or Penalize it, if you use Pop ups
    Myth 10: Google will Penalize you if You're Linked to by a Link Farm

Source: http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/top-10-google-myths-revealed/1

Is this a relief or another hindrance to webmasters?

2. calebtheslacker

calebtheslacker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"Myth 10: Google will Penalize you if You're Linked to by a Link Farm" This is the one that bothers me. will they truly penalize you? If so, what would be classified as a link farm?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Some of those 10 statements are not true 100% of the time, but are still a good guideline. The belief that "The Higher Your Google Page Rank (PR), the Higher You'll be in the Search Results Listing" is described as a myth because it is not true 100% of the time. However, the article itself states "While pages with a higher PageRank do tend to rank better". So even if it is a myth, it is still a useful concept that can be used to improve your search engine listings.

That statement is described as a myth, hence it is not true. Google may penalise your site because of the sites you link to, however they won't penalise you because of the sites that link back to you.

4. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't look forward for myth information. They may not be 100% accurate.

#4 DEADMAN, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you mean?

6. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It may not be true in all cases. The myth is what, not 100% correct information.

7. foreverest

foreverest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Someone says PR is not so important to a web, compared to inlinks. It`s just a number.
    Is it right?

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The importance of PR is often over rated. Building a quality site that provides benefits to your visitors and then attracting those visitors to your site, is much more important than your site's PR.

9. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Traffic does matter in more way.

If you're unable to build a site that is preferrable for visitors to read and stay in then it's not worth having a site. More than pagerank, you need to concentrate to your site traffic and it's usage.

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, Fergal is right. Page Rank tends to become over rated.
    If you are just a beginner, focus more on your traffic. As long as you establish good traffic, you will definitely get PR.

11. nirav

nirav
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google Uses Meta Tags to Rank Your Site. I am not agree with this statement. Google considers many other criteria to rank your site such as backlinks, content etc.

12. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The importance of PageRank isn't as important as it was about 5 years ago. I made a post about it on my blog which I said that you should really focus on your SERP keyword/s. Focusing on your SERP keyword/s ensures a PageRank (as people link to you and you have web presence), but a PageRank doesn't ensure a good SERP ranking.

nirav, they are listing common myths, not stating that this is what happens. So in your case, it is a myth that Google Uses Meta Tags to Rank Your Site.

13. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just thought I'd join in.....

I never even bother to check PR - if I am in #1, getting traffic etc who cares. Most of my client sites targetting local business get to #1-3 with an indented listing very quickly (days usually) and by their positioning get traffic so I don't even worry about PR,

Google does not use meta tags for ranking. I agree it is a very common myth but a very widespread one.

14. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the wording is quite ambiguous. I am certain that meta tags affects a site's web presence, and therefore affects a site's ranking. If you disagree then why do I constantly see sites that say it doesn't, place up meta tags? I assume its just a marketing tactic and a web presence tactic that big sites can do where smaller sites get sucked into believing in such. But, that's my opinion.

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not meta tags but keyword density.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

They don't use keyword meta tags, but they do use meta description tags. You can view the Matt Cutts video in this post for preference.

17. johnyboy2157

johnyboy2157
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Generally these above mention 10 guideline are contrary to my personal experience yet these are good in this regard that Google myth can never be revealed in concise & precise manner than above simple statements. There are many questions arise on these "myth breaking" points.;-[

18. rehan507

rehan507
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the same way.
    It is not so simple that Google can let the secrets to be revealed so easily.
    Not proper from my point of you.

19. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The article mentioned by Gekidan as source is from December 2002. I'm pretty sure many things have changed since then, even almighty Google...:)

BTW the belief that Google knows and sees all (and even has control over) is one of the greatest myths spread on the Internet. Here's a quote by Jonathan Leger:

"But what is Google, really? Google is an algorithm. And who created the algorithm?
    People created Google’s algorithm. (Sorry nay-sayers, Google was not handed
    the algorithm from the Divine.)

Yes, people wrote Google’s algorithm. Are people perfect? No. Then can Google’s
    algorithm be perfect? No. Do people know all and see all? No. Then can Google’s
    algorithm know all and see all? No!
    " (from "Search Engines Myths Exposed")

A great source for quality SEO information is webmasterworld.