Top 10 Disappearing Jobs

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by GekiDan, Feb 25, 2010.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

People in almost every profession may feel like jobs are scarce right now. For many industries, this is a temporary situation. But jobs in some fields are expected to continue disappearing even after the economy picks up.

Is your industry on the decline? The federal government projects that a number of industries will lose jobs from 2008 to 2018.

1. Department stores: Projected to lose 10.2 percent of the 1.56 million jobs they had in 2008.
    2. Semiconductor manufacturing: Projected to lose 33.7 percent of the 432,000 jobs it had in 2008.
    3. Motor vehicle parts manufacturing: Projected to lose 18.6 percent of its 544,000 jobs.
    4. Postal service: Projected to lose 13 percent of the 748,000 jobs it had in 2008.
    5. Printing and related jobs: Projected to lose 16 percent of its 594,000 jobs.
    6. Cut-and-sew apparel manufacturing: Projected to lose 57 percent of its 155,000 jobs.
    7. Newspaper publishers: Projected to lose 24.8 percent of its 326,000 jobs.
    8. Mining support jobs: Projected to lose 23.2 percent of its 328,000 jobs.
    9. Gas stations: Projected to lose 8.9 percent of its 843,000 jobs.
    10. Wired telecom: Projected to lose 11 percent of its 666,000 jobs.

Source: http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-10_job_sectors_in_decline-1090

Another result of recession? Is anyone of you affected by this?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Frightening stats there, I'm a little surprised to see "Semiconductor manufacturing" jobs on the list, I thought that field would be reasonably secure with the growth of technology.

3. iketz0

iketz0
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi mate!

Thanks for sharing this. Some jobs are really seasonal. The demand of this jobs depends of some factors, like economic stability.

4. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice list. We have to be very flexible so that we can have a good job whatever it takes.

5. Blacklight

Blacklight
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well im sure this kind of jobs will lose some stats in the future because technology will advance and more machines will be invented and do the things that people used to do. so jobs will be scarce in the future.

6. facerecpromo

facerecpromo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hey thanx for this interesting list. some of them are surprise also like Semiconductor manufacturing, Printing and related jobs and newspaper publishers but I think country wise and Regine wise this list will differ..

7. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think accounting jobs too will disappear later and accountants will be replace by it operating accounting software :D

8. jamess26

jamess26
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hello,
    what you think about the online business.? making your own sites and get different seo projects and earn money.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum jamess26. That can and does work for many people. If you have anything specific in mind and would like some advice or feedback please post a new thread in the relevant section.

10. stuart0193

stuart0193
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am looking for online business can anybody help me?

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

12. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My brother-in-law over in Italy is struggling with his travel agency business at the moment and he is based in central Milan. On the whole it looks as though high street travel agencies are on a road to nowhere with the power of the internet taking hold.

For example, it is now so easy to find the cheapest flight available in a few clicks although the Italians still have a bit of catching up to do as far as trusting internet transactions is concerned.

I don't have much sympathy with accountants though. Maybe it's just me but they always seem to be trying to blind people with science. In the UK, I can see more and more accounting work being farmed out to developing nations.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Lingua21, Irish travel agents have begun to charge for their time with customers. They are doing this because they have found that people were visiting their stores, getting excellent holiday advice and then booking the holiday online. The travel agents were giving their advice and expertise but getting nothing in return. They now give the first fifteen minutes of their time for free but charge for their time after that. If the customer books a holiday with the agent, they get a refund for the time charge. Maybe something like this could work for your brother.

14. PatHIverson

PatHIverson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wouldn't have suspected many of these industries--Wow!

15. mandi

mandi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

wow,that's amazing find,but is this a country status or status of a particular region?
    And i think you should include bank sector too!!!

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interesting point, Ireland has lost about 10,000 jobs in banking and financial services, over the last year. Larger countries such as the UK and US, will have lost a lot more.