Top 10 Corrupt Countries

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by GekiDan, Nov 18, 2009.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Corruption is the thing that cannot be removed in every country. Even though officials are worthy, there's still corruption. We can't deny it. We are just normal people and we can easily be tempted to use the money of other people when it is infront of us.

So according to the list made by Transparency International, here are the top 10 most corrupt countries of this year:

1. Somalia
    2. Afghanistan
    3. Myanmar
    4. Sudan
    5. Iraq
    6. Chad
    7. Uzbekistan
    8. Turkmenistan
    9. Iran
    10. Haiti

And the top 10 least corrupt:

1. New Zealand
    2. Denmark
    3. Singapore
    4. Sweden
    5. Switzerland
    6. Finland
    7. Netherlands
    8. Australia
    9. Canada
    10. Iceland

Related stories:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/11/17/international/i070541S92.DTL
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091117/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_corruption_index

2. eddielkk

eddielkk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My country, malaysia, government is always saying to fight for corruption, but every year when the results out, our country ranks is dropping each year, this obviously show that my country government "effort" in anti-corruption. This really make our people sad here.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Nice to see Ireland and number 14 on the list, ahead of the UK and the US. The US occupation of Iraq doesn't appear to be doing much to eliminate corruption there.

4. nirose

nirose
    uix_expand uix_collapse

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

6. alirex

alirex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Afghanistan and Iraq are corrupted by Americans , bcoz before Americans they was illitrates and now there are Beerbar , pubs , dance houses means they are corrupting those people. Am i right ?

Our Country India is not there

7. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is a very simplistic way of looking at a complex situation. To say the Americans have corrupted those countries is not correct (my view). Prior to any American or other allied troop involvement both those countries would still rank at the bottom of any corruption listing.

India is #84

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Beer and dance don't corrupt people. You can get all those things in the 10 least corrupt countries on the list. Corruption comes from dishonest people who steal and take more than they are entitled to.

9. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i completely agree with fergal ......Dishonest ...No Education (illiterate)
    and people who rule the country .....are main reason of Corruption

i agree Afghanistan and Iraq are corrupted by Americans

where there is war....there is a problem

in country's like
    Somalia
    Afghanistan
    Sudan
    Iraq

i always blame American ( supporting country's ) and Soviet Union (supporting country's )

for there present condition

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I don't agree to this one. How come presidents of some countries tend to corrupt?
    Honestly, I don't see any president who is illiterate. In becoming an official, one needs to attain ertain education for them to get accepted as one of the candidates.

Who can an illiterate person serve his people without any knowledge on what he is doing?

People who tend to corrupt are people with a good knowledge how they can do this secretly and without anyone knowing.

11. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am amazed to see India in 10 Corrupted Countries list as India is also very well corrupted. I think the main cause are:

• People are losing faith on there government.
    • Economic Crisis and Financial Problems.
    • Poverty

I don't think illiteracy is a cause of Corruption.

12. alirex

alirex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I dont know how much religion plays role in anyones life but this is truth no religion follow Alcohol and now days Youth are shouting the slogan of Democracy , actually they want no boundation for Alcohols or any thing for corruption. And Behind the scene of Democracy Americans are stealing Uranium from Afghanistan supplying India for Nuclear Project for the Pact they signed. Oil Resouces from Iraq just to hold other nation Economy and to divert the currencies obey Dollar.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I feel that illiteracy has a strong role to play in corruption. If you look through the list of the most corrupt nations you will see that their population has much lower education and literacy levels than the ten least corrupt nations. There's a reason for that. It's easier for political and business leaders to get away with corruption when the general public has a high level of illiteracy.

There have been some very high profile corruption cases in Ireland, which resulted in politicians losing their positions. These politicians lost their power, largely through the power of the media. If the media didn't have a literate and educated population to buy their newspapers and other publications, these corrupt politicians may have kept their power.

Different religions have different views when it comes to alcohol consumption. Islam forbids the consumption of alcohol but Christian religions don't. Jesus turned water into wine, at the wedding at Cana. Wine is used as part of religious ceremonies in some of the major Christian religions.

That's a very interesting point. Perhaps wealthier and more powerful countries are better at hiding their corruption and hence, appearing lower on the corruption index.

14. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can't agree that the US are to blame for corruption in Iraq and Afghanistan. Have people forgotten the time before the allied forces went into Iraq? Was Iraq less corrupt when Hussain was in charge? NO. It was a nation where being the wrong religion would end in your death. Where saying anything against anyone in power would lead to your death. That is pure corruption of power.

Afghanistan was no different, a land ruled by tribel leaders who would kill you if you wandered into the wrong part of the country. A place where a woman was not allowed free speech and where a high proportion of the worlds illegal substance originated from.

People may not like the Americans (I'm not their biggest fan) but the fact is these two countries were corrupt before they arrived and maybe one day they will see freedom to say what they want and freedom to use a business forum such as this one, something the majority of the people in those countries could not do today, whilst the ex-leaders lived in complete freedom and wealth most of us will never see.

15. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

before US invasion of iraq

iraq was much peaceful country

now
    there is terrorist attack in iraq everyday and at the average of 10 to 40 people are dieing due to terrorist attack everyday
    and ....iraq is unstable now
    i don't say hussain was .... a great man

but iraq was much safer and peaceful ...compare to today ....under him

where there is a war ...there are many problem
    before invasion......iraq ....was not in the list of top 10 most corrupt list

and Afghanistan...past few decades it is battle ground

first Soviet Union and now American's

how can they improve theme self ...! ...if they are in war

what about this

16. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Clearly we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

As for the other point. There is a small matter of proof which despite rumour nothing concrete has ever surfaced.

17. dipcliper

dipcliper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agree with you!!but Singapore i think there not corrupt just to share with you their president is the highest paid in their country to avoid corruption:)