too much success? Advice needed

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by FrostyMcSuccess, Jun 24, 2012.

1. FrostyMcSuccess

FrostyMcSuccess
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ive been making (private b4 copy-rite) & selling them since i was younger so im a little well known in the gardening community. I recently made about ten or so units & wrote one post to let others know on one social networking site. The next morning i awake to find orders accumulating to 30,000 units.. i am one man in my basement, my handicapped brother is the biggest help in the world & best partner i could have ever asked for. So.. I could not fill this demand & i immediately shut down the company & wrote apologies for being out of stock in order to ensure customer sanctification. One man was going to send an 18wheeler to my house to pick up the *explicit*.. I am a little disappointed at the lost opportunity. Since then however many other forms of media have emailed me asking if they can advertise.. free advertising is great but again.. im a little spooked because of last time. I never thought i would need an assembly line. i dont know what to do, who has this ever happened to before? Any advice? I am starting the business up again, high quality products only for my customers only as always. Any advice on what i should do?? I am 22 & in college.. my life has been one heck of a ride & i feel like im 80 jeez! I care about helping people first, profiting comes second if at all.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Brian G.
    NJ

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum and congratulations on achieving that level of demand for your products FrostyMcSuccess. What type of product have you actually been selling?

Have you considered the following options;

• Raising your prices, so that demand will fall and profits will increase
    • Outsourcing production to an external supplier who could provide you with the volumes required to meet the huge demand you have experienced
    • Sourcing similar products from companies that are already selling similar goods, and selling those to your customers.

The above options could apply, even if you are selling an information product that you are writing yourself. The most difficult thing to achieve in business is a high level of demand from your customers, as you have that already, you should be able to find a way to profit from it, given a little thought and creativity.

3. Productdesign

Productdesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Outsourcing is a good option in your current situation. However, you will need to make sure that quality does not go down.

4. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Price seems to be the obvious culprit. If demand is that high and supply so low, your price should probably be much higher. You might even make more money raising the price and selling far fewer than you would have this way.

5. Emily Smith

Emily Smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Price is a very important issue that you should tell while you are purchasing or selling business item.