Too much of no-follow links harms my website ranking?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by shrikantha, Jun 5, 2017.

1. shrikantha

shrikantha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yesterday, I was thinking of do follow and no follow backlinks, and suddenly I got one question in mind that if I create only no-follow backlinks to my site? is this harm my site ranking? please tell me what will happen if I create only no-follow links to my site.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

A long time ago, someone said "There is no such thing as a stupid question". Every once in a while, someone insists on asking a question that tries to prove them wrong. "No-follow' instructs the search engine's spiders to not follow the link. In order for your website to get credit for a link on another website, the spiders have to know where that link goes. If a link is no-follow, the spiders won't follow it, and will not be able to determine where it goes. As a result, if you have nothing but no-follow links linking to your website, it would be the same as having no links at all. Why would you want to do that?

3. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good thing I still have this article from Search Engine Land:

http://searchengineland.com/googles...nless-you-are-spamming-at-a-huge-scale-171486

Does having links that are nofollow hurt your site? Certainly not. Unless you are blatantly spamming it. Would it improve your ranking? Nofollow link alone won't improve your rankings if we just talking about transferring of link value. However, I believe it doesn't stop there.

A link that delivers high quality and targeted traffic regardless if the referring link is nofollow or dofollow can still help in improving your site's organic search performance. I personally believe that Google also looks at the source of the link. So for example if you manage to get a nofollow contextual link from WSJ, wouldn't it provide any value?

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I don't think so. Yes, a link from WSJ, if you could get one, would provide more value than a link from, for example, a local newspaper. But if the link is no-follow, all the spiders have is a link and a URL, with no idea what is at that URL. Is it quality content or junk? Although it's true that WSJ wouldn't link to junk, I would think the spiders would want to "see" for themselves whether that content deserves to be ranked, so do-follow would be better.

5. Smith-K

Smith-K
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should not worry if a backlink is do-follow or no-follow, you just focus on providing value and you will ultimately gain natural backlinks. The aim is to have a mixture of nofollow and dofollow links.

6. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If we are talking about the quality of a link in terms of the "link juice" then I'd certainly agree that do follow is better. But if we are going to discuss the quality of the link in general, then it's always a case to case basis. Regarding to the spiders, we don't really know how they treat all links. So for me it's always the authority of the page that matters regardless if the link it gives is nofollow or dofollow. But I certainly agree that at major point, do follow is often better.

7. mishraraj2603

mishraraj2603
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have read that nofollow attribute is as good as deleting a link for purposes of the Penguin update.What I understand from this is that if if I add the nofollow later,I will lose whatever link juice i got from it – but if you had been penalized for that link you will also lose the penalty. It’s as if the link no longer exists, for those purposes.

8. Mia Edwards

Mia Edwards
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You don't need to worry about no follow and do follow links, you will just have to build some good reference for your websites. I think this may help you to get better ranking in search engines

9. nowitscheaper

nowitscheaper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try a ratio of 20%/100% for dofollow to nofollow. Google expects you to have more nofollow links than dofollow ones!

10. bangthetable

bangthetable
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Generating only nofollow backlinks would affect your website performance on search engine such as keyword ranking drop, low CTR etc. But many websites are giving nofollow backlink in the current SEO world and difficult to get dofollow backlink from high authority websites. but that is the real hard work to find and get dofollow bakclinks to your website.

11. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No evidence to prove this point. As long as you get high quality links, whether it is nofollow or not, you're good. And Google expects us to have more links that send relevant traffic to our sites. Not just nofollow.

12. Rakhi Kaur

Rakhi Kaur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Srikantha...
    No follow links does not harm any website but those links are not counted by google spiders and they are natural links for any page. Neither nofollow links harm your ranking nor improve your ranking.

13. mkg4dxb

mkg4dxb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Creating backlinks either nofollow or dofollow is against Google guidelines. Any number of backlinks which are naturally earned whether dofollow or nofollow can be helpful. There is not ratio.

14. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Links are the foundation of Google's algorithm, and you cannot avoid creating them. What is against Google guidelines is creating unnatural links specifically to manipulate rankings. This is why the method for creating links has changed. When you created your profile here on BAF, you created a link to your homepage. Are you listed in any directories? Your profile on these directories has a link to your website, that you created. Do you have a link to your website in any articles you write? Then you created a link.
    What Google doesn't like are low quality links. Remember the directories I mentioned above? If you join a large quantity of directories just to get links, these are low quality links. Links on a "Link Page" on a website are low quality. Too many anchor text links in an article are low quality. You are right when you say that naturally earned links are better, but relying only on these would take too long, so creating links is unavoidable. These links, too, should be natural links.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AquibSk123

AquibSk123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well if you ask my personal view, too much of nofollow backlink will not harm your website as well as it will also not give you any positive impact too. But if you build too much of backlinks either it may be nofollow or dofollow the important things is what anchor your taking while building backlinks because if you take exact anchor too many times the chance of getting victim of penguin algorithm.

Try to build organic backlinks plus nofollow backlink the policy is maintaining proper balance of both the backlinks .