Tired and demotivated

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Frank, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Frank

Frank
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Everyone,

I'm a partner is a reasonably successful tehnology business. I joined the biz about 2.5 years ago and fortunately we've just got busier and busier. Unfortunately most of the work and responsibility lies on my shoulders: admin, purchasing, field operations, client support and my work, development. Field ops consists of a two-man team and the occasional out-source.

My partner lives in another city and commutes to the office city on average once every fortnight. He's responsible for the marketing and electronic hardware.

Although he has started taking up more load recently, there is hardly an item that doesn't come through my inbox one way or the other. Whether it's my side of the business or not, I somehow always am involved. My work ethic doesn't help either...I work extremely hard, as I'm sure most of you do. I recently went on a one-week vacation (first in two years) where one and a half days were lost on a problem created by my partner rushing through on-site work.

I've recently started looking for a technical person and an admin person to assist me with certain tasks, but I haven't found anyone as yet...finding the time is a little difficult.

Have you got any advice or has someone been through something similar? I really enjoy the work and love the business, it's just really taking its toll on me now.

Thanks all,
    Frank

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum Frank, well done on the success of your company and sorry to hear that you are feeling demotivated at the moment. Everyone goes through periods of de-motivation from time to time and it is a challenge to pull through and get on top of our game again.

Do you work very long hours in the business? If you do, it might be time to add some constraints to your working hours so that you have some time for yourself every day and that you have at least one day off every week. This will help you to get some balance and to start enjoying your work more.

It also sounds like you need to have a good heart to heart with your business partner. Would it be practical for you to schedule a meeting with him so that you can both put your cards on the table and get everything out in the open? Perhaps you can both come up with a written agreement that would clarify exactly who is responsible for what, in the business and then schedule regular meetings so that you can both discuss how everything is going and you can each report on your own areas of responsibility.

Good luck with it!

3. jsingerston

jsingerston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Frank,

I know where you are coming from. I have been there.

It sounds to me like you are at the stage with your busienss where you need to trasition out of being a self employed person running a business into being a full fledged business owner. There is a difference and I think you know what I mean. You are basically in a position where you are trying to manage the business as well as perform much of the work yourself. This is a very, very challenging position to be in. The stress from a scenario like that can be enough to break a man.

The path out of that nightmare is to realize that you must hire and train someone to replace you. You need to delegate more work to other people so that you can spend the majority of your time running the business. Use your weekend time off to try to simplify and systemize every daily task that is associated with your work. Find someone competant who can do the work. Make the job as cookie cutter for them as possible.

As you can probably tell, I have run into this situation myself as a business owner. Making that transition from being self employed thinking you own a business to actually acting purley like a business owner was the hardest transition of my personal career. At first I really screwed it up. I screwed it up because I was trying to hire people to fit the job. Eventually I learned that I needed to systemize the entire job so that even a less skilled person could perform it. Then it became easy to find replacement employees whenever necessary. Unless you systemize things, you will drive yourself nuts trying to bring on additional employees.

Hope this whole thing made some sense to you. Whether you realize it or not, there are lots of people out here like me who admire people like you who can find a way to work through these hurdles so that you can continue to operate your business. I know how hard running a real busienss is. People under appreciate-how hard it really is to build a business from scratch.

Don't be afraid to ask other business owners that you know for their advice. A lot of us have been there.

4. Alexishost

Alexishost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your mind is overload.
    Hi, frank, It seem your mind overload with work. You have manything to do... and you can't think clearly and effeciently now.

Simple solution.
    frank, Take a noon for break... relax from work and rejuvenate. then After you woke up from your sleep in the next day, spend at least 20 minutes of your time to just sit and write your business goal and write your plan what is the next step you need to do today. That make your mind clear of what you will do in this day and feel that you get more done.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Great suggestions jsingerston, your post reminds me of the ideas in "The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It" book by Michael E. Gerber. The book discusses a lot of the issues being experienced by you Frank and it could be well worth a read, you can find it on Amazon and other book stores.

6. Frank

Frank
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great advice and support

Hi there guys,

Apologies for the late reply... Thank you all for your great advice and support! It's really easy to get stuck in the detail and just keep working harder and harder, not actually seeing very clearly at all. You guys have helped me open my eyes a little more now, so my current thinking is, a) to recover my energy slightly, b) to meet with my business partner and then c) to start defining the tasks so that I can find someone to help me.

I think we are exactly at the point where we're transitioning and wow is it difficult! It just somehow creeps up on you and before you know it, you're completely swamped. Then the "I can do it better myself" syndrome is also ever so slightly damaging...but I think I'm learning! Just got to get on top again energy-wise now. Am starting a push to get into my old hobbies going again, these will get my head out of the detail and back in the right place. One tends to make sacrifices "just for now" until they becomes permanent and no longer a sustainable way of life. I'm currently on shorter working days as well.

Awesome to have some great advice and empathy from guys out there in the real world, just the understanding, guidance and support gives me a boost! Thanks so much for taking the time out to help. Will keep you guys posted.

Frank

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for posting back Frank and I'm delighted to hear that you are more confident about resolving the situation now. Please do post back if there is anything else we can do to help and you might also consider sharing your opinions in some of our other discussions on the forum.

8. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is so typical of being an entrepreneur. You start out doing everything but as the load increases, you end up being stretched too far. It's good that you are in the process of delegating some of the tasks so you can focus on the ones that you really want to do.