Tips to Structure URLs

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by alastairbrian, Jul 4, 2016.

1. alastairbrian

alastairbrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The search engine optimization of a website is not only limited to the addition of keywords in the URLs because it is the whole structure that matters. A well structured link address does not only assure higher search engine exposure but also allows the users to grab the information within the URL. The retailers and merchants are now required to incorporate user friendliness in the link structures as well. It requires them to replace the auto-generated IDs, numbers and special characters with real words. The purpose of this is to convey a meaning through a web address. For your help, we have compiled some of the useful tips for improving the URL structure in the info-graphics. You can review them one by one and apply them accordingly.

Reference
    Moz Guidelines for urls structure
    Infographic

At the end, I have a quick question for dear members of this forum that, does you really care for the ids and numbers in your urls,
    You want to keep these numbers in urls or not?

#1 alastairbrian, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  2. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Not correct. It makes virtually no difference at all. The MOZ article is about 18 months old - an awful lot has changed in that time.

Numbers and ID's in URLs are fine. If you are using a tablet or phone (as most people are) then the URL is rarely visible anyway.

3. alastairbrian

alastairbrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well
    clean ursl brings a vigorous change on the customers’ experience. Customers are less likely to open or share links that are muddled with digits.

#3 alastairbrian, Jul 5, 2016
  4. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Please explain what you mean as this sentance makes no sense at all.
    What surveys?

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I have a few questions about this myself. I'm beginning to wonder whether you wrote your original post, or just posted a paragraph that you read somewhere, and then included a link to the infographic. Whether you can answer my questions depends on whether or not you understand the subject you are writing about. You also want to avoid sounding confrontational, or uneducated, when you ask your questions. Instead of "You want to keep these numbers in urls or not?", you should ask, for example, "Do you think these IDs or numbers are necessary in URLs?" My question was, to what IDs and numbers are you referring?

Here again, you need to write the way people speak. Instead of "clean ursl brings a vigorous change to customers' experience", you could say "Clean URLs make a customer's experience easier and more enjoyable". It's easier to understand, and is grammatically correct. You could then explain how and why clean URLs make the customer's experience easier and more enjoyable, and why this is important. Like fisicx, I would like to ask what surveys you are referring to. Who wrote them? What information do they contain that proves the indicated conclusion?

6. alastairbrian

alastairbrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, my post is somehow unclear and I want to explain here in more details. Community Leader and Liason has raised some good points here about the URLs.

clean URLs brings a vigorous change on the customers’ experience.

To explain it, given here 2 different examples:

Example 1:

Avoid those types of URLs which looks like a math equation or looks odd. e.g

Avoid: www.fmemodules.com/product.sfe?id=885
    Use: www.fmemodules.com/advance-seo.html

Here the first url contains an ID 885 and seeing this URL, a user can't exactly know that where the page will land, which product or service it will show.
    While the other URL show that the product is about advance seo and it is more clear.

Example 2:

www.domain.com/shoes over www.domain/47-shoes, which one looks more pretty, Obviously the first one. User will click on both URL but there are few things that have implicit effect on customers mind. There are high chances you will remember that amazon.com/shoes on first sight then amazon.com/47-shoes.

Definitely, a visitor will like to go to the clean url that is more readable and understandable. This means that clean urls without ids improved customer's experience.

Moz article is OLD

You are saying that Moz article is old but you can check the same thing on Google Guidelines page, Google definitely updates its guidelines frequently. https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/76329

Last but not the least, Ids in numbers are misleading whenever you share naked URL.
    Examples:
    • fmemodules.com/en/blog/45-17-ecommerce-conversion-boosters (Ohh there are 4517 conversion boosters? Nops its just 17)
    • fmemodules.com/en/blog/47-7-factors-that-are-ruining-your-checkout-page (OMG 477 factors that's huge, Impossible its just 7)
    As you asked for the survey, I think there are several articles on importance of cleaning urls, however survey is not available. So I am editing that post.

#6 alastairbrian, Jul 11, 2016