Tips to Save on Printing Costs – Are you paying more than you need?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Tandy, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Tandy

Tandy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don’t know about you but I hate reading off the screen, and print everything I want to read. When my printer is out of action it is a nightmare!!

I have two HP printers and on these I can go into properties and change the quality to fast /draft, this is still a good quality of print, very readable but not so black and because of this it uses much less ink and your ink cartridge last longer. I can also change the print settings to have it permanently printing fast /draft.

Not all printers offer this facility but it’s worth trying yours and see what you think.

Where do you buy your ink?

Supermarkets and Argos now sell ink cartridges,which may be cheaper than the stationers you are using. Some also sell their own brands. Or you may like to try compatibles, there is a variety in quality to these, some are guaranteed.

2. ShesOnFire

ShesOnFire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

dont buy the offical ink, You buy bottles which you use a syringe to transfer the ink to your old(empty) cartridges - Or you goto a refill station and its slightly more expensive(but still cheaper than official cartridges).

Btw, what printer do you have, how would you rate the quality of sharpness for text and color?

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

If your printer is still under warranty, I would not buy refills for empty cartridges. I would also not buy refilled cartridges, which some places also sell. In both cases, you could void the warranty, and if the printer is damaged or breaks down, you could wind up paying a lot more than the difference in cartridge cost to get it fixed. On the other hand, if your printer is old and you want to stretch it's life until you can buy a new one, this might be a way to save money so you can buy a new printer sooner rather than later.

4. Tandy

Tandy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In answer to your question ShwsOnFire for what I need the quality is fine, I even set it to fast & economical, its still very clear to read.
    Joeroxx - the printer is out of warrenty and is an Hp, I also have an older printer.

Thanks for your comments
    Regards

5. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, many businesses I've been dealing with over the past few years are sending their invoices via email. In this manner, they reduce their printing costs considerably but pass the cost on to me if I want to have a hard copy on hand. Otherwise, if I want to save money on ink there's an ink supplier down the road from me that brings in 3rd party cartridges from Taiwan. Prices are almost half of those from the official branded cartridges but print quality is about the same.