Tips To Improve Your Personal Motivation

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by agentmanningctu, Aug 9, 2010.

1. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Finding the motivation to start and finish a task can be just as hard as the task itself. Sure, you’re really craving steak, but first you have to buy the meat, marinade it, cut it, and grill it. That’s a multi-hour process. You could just make a sandwich instead and save a lot of effort. What really motivates a person is the end result. I’d love to make a steak. Sure, it might take a while to make, but I can share it with my family and friends, which is all the motivation I need.

To really motivate yourself to do something, you need to think about all the benefits, but also all of the costs. Knowing the costs, you can be sure the benefits are much more important and worthwhile. Everyone knows school is rough. No one really likes studying. What people do like is getting excellent grades to prepare them for a superb job. When I was feeling down in school, I thought, “Hey, I want to be a teacher. Studying stinks, but I can’t be a teacher if I don’t go to a good college.” Thoughts like that keep me motivated and make the tedious tasks like studying much more bearable.

Getting motivated for a job is probably the hardest. Giving up a third of one’s day is rough. Not to mention the long drives, overtime and extra work at home. Millions of people are miserable at work, and who can blame them? Think about the money. Like I said, I want to be a teacher, so I probably shouldn’t be the one talking about money, but that’s what it really comes down to. I’m perfectly fine with any job, considering it puts food on my table, cable on my TV and gives me the money to do fun things.

It’s all about making the less desirable tasks as painless as possible. Think of creative ways to spice up those tasks. While cooking, invite some friends over and make it a barbeque. If you’re going to study, you might as well make it fun by having a study group. At work, try and suggest things to make life easier. New technology, more group collaborations, etc. Let’s face it, you need to mix things up or it will be the same boring thing five days a week. Think ahead and focus on the positive things that lie ahead, and you will be motivated to do just about anything.

When I'm feeling more unmotivated than usual, I like to make a list. It can be a mental list or a real list, but for me it helps to have something physical. I list step for step what I need to do to accomplish what I don't feel like doing. After I've written it down, breaking it down by steps, it makes the task seem more manageable and less tedious.

Still feeling unmotivated? You can't go wrong talking to family and friends. Try to talk to someone who does similar activities, and ask what gets them motivated. You'd be surprised at the advice some people give.

2. Shole

Shole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for sharing those great tips :D