Tips to Help you Fall Asleep

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've sometimes had difficulty falling asleep at night and have tried all of the following with various degrees of success;
    • Keeping regular hours for going to bed at night and getting up in the morning
    • Avoiding drinks with caffeine
    • Saying the word "the" in my head at different frequencies
    • Imagining myself lying and relaxing on a quiet beach, being warmed by the sun
    • Reading in bed before I go to sleep
    • Making an ordered list of what I have to do the next day, so that I'm not thinking about what needs to be done, when I'm trying to sleep
    • Drinking warm milk before going to bed
    • Listening to relaxing music, on a sleep time, when I get into bed - this one works particularly well for me.
    Have you any tips or tricks for helping you fall asleep at night?

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I can't sleep at night, I usually drink a glass of water and read a book. After half an hour or more, I would already feel very drowsy and immediately fall asleep. This doesn't work every time though especially if I have something on my mind. When this happens, I usually just stay in bed and close my eyes until I finally fall asleep.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Some people say that staying in bed when you can't sleep, is the worst thing you can do. It can affect future nights' sleep because you begin to associate your bed with not sleeping.

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh, sorry Fergal. I didn't know that. Maybe it's just me but this usually works for me. I just stay in bed and close my eyes until I finally fall asleep. I never associate the bed with not being able to sleep.

Maybe in this case, different ways on how to induce ourselves to sleep also works differently for people.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry Nazreen, I just realised that my reply may have sounded short, it wasn't meant to.

It is very true to say that different things work for different people and it's great that you've found something that works for you. Thanks for sharing that.

6. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One way of making myself feel sleepy is just to stay in bed and watch tv. This way I felt relax and I am not thinking over things. Sometimes, I play simple games in my cellphone just to tire my eyes. I hope these tips will also work for you guys.

7. laurenSwaha11

laurenSwaha11
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like to use the last hour before bed as unwinding time. Lay down and watch some television, which usually makes me fall right to sleep.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sometimes TV can waken me up. I suppose it depends on what you watch. For example, action movies are definitely not the best thing for me to watch prior to going to bed.

9. Arpeggio

Arpeggio
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the key is relax....
    If when you are going to sleep while in your mind is still mess up
    you cant sleep well

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum, Arpeggio. I agree with you 100%, it is very difficult to sleep if you have worries on your mind. I sometimes find it helpful to write a "To Do List" of what I need to do the next day, before I go to bed. This helps me to stop worrying and to have the confidence that I will do all that needs to be done the next day.

Have you any tips on how to relax before falling asleep?

11. rossparker

rossparker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always have one or two business books laying around that I've checked out from the library. If I can't sleep, I get get out bed and go sit in the chair and start reading until I begin to feel sleepy, then go back to bed. If I stay in bed, I'll toss and turn so this is what works for me

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I read in bed most nights, before I turn out the lights for sleep. I find it a very helpful way to wind down and fall asleep.

13. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All these points are quiet intresting and also helpful. But for me its diffcult to avoid coffee as i am kind of addict to it..

Ya its true..I also have diffculty in sleeping one night before my exams...:)

14. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wouldn't coffee make it more difficult for you to fall asleep? I think that it's good to just drink coffee in the morning and during the nights the you need to stay awake. Why not change to drinking water or milk to help you fall asleep instead?

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Warm milk is a great drink to take before going to bed to help you fall asleep.