Tips for Writing Press Releases

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by kleidmoore, Apr 22, 2010.

1. kleidmoore

kleidmoore
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Upon searching i found some tips on how to make a good press release content. I just wanna share this to you guys. Hope you find this helpful.

1. Make sure the information is newsworthy.
    2. Tell the audience that the information is intended for them and why they should continue to read it.
    3. Start with a brief description of the news, then distinguish who announced it, and not the other way around.
    4. Ask yourself, “How are people going to relate to this and will they be able to connect?”
    5. Make sure the first 10 words of your release are effective, as they are the most important.
    6. Avoid excessive use of adjectives and fancy language.
    7. Deal with the facts.
    8. Provide as much Contact information as possible: Individual to Contact, address, phone, fax, email, Web site address.
    9. Make sure you wait until you have something with enough substance to issue a release.
    10. Make it as easy as possible for media representatives to do their jobs.

2. dvduval

dvduval
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'll add that because press releases appear on authority sites, there is an SEO benefit as well, and you can even have keywords for up to about 4 links in the press release. I was successful in getting some press releases to rank for some medium competitive key phrases.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good point dvduval, I previously ran a press release for Business Advice Forum. The press release included links back to the site and these links did get indexed by the search engines. I use Google Alerts and for quite some time after submitting the press release, I occasionally received an alert that showed Google had just found the article with the link back here.

4. johnyboy2157

johnyboy2157
    uix_expand uix_collapse

dvduval rise an important point too but i think that Kleidmoore information is worthwhile & very useful for new comers, & it can be truly regarded as guideline for all those who have little bit interest in Press Releases writing. I also take a lot of benefits & new points from this paragraph.

5. onealgrambal

onealgrambal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Tips for writing press releases....
    1.The headline is critical.
    2.Include a sub-header.
    3.There is a fine line between honest hype and a serious overreach
    4.Put your hype in quotes.
    5. Keep it to one page.

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No one has mentioned that press releases have to be written in a certain style if you want an editor to take them seriously. Did you know you have to end it with ### for example or that there's a character limit for headlines?

There is a set format you must follow. If you don't, that can be enough reason for some editors to discard it. Don't fall at the first fence. Your content might be fascinating but they are less likely to read it if it's not laid out properly, much less publish it.

Here's a set of guidelines on how to format a press release. Hope that helps.

Needing a quick reference guide when writing a news item or press release? If you want to look professional, double check that you're following the general AP style guidelines to avoid glaring mistakes. There's a helpful guide to the basics at scribd.

Associated-Press (AP) Style Guide: the basics

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Similar threads merged - thanks Kay for those great resources.

8. kleidmoore

kleidmoore
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm agree with you Kay, That's another important factors when it comes to Press Release content. So for those beginners, after reading this thread, I'm sure that you will going to get a good idea on how to do it right. Cheers.:D

9. harrystone00

harrystone00
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Tips for writing press releases:-

1. Start strong: Your title and initial lines should briefly and directly convey what you want to say. Include the "who, what, where, when and why" in the lead of your press release. The remaining part of your press release should include supporting facts and examples.

2. Make it easy for the media: Some media agencies and journalists will grab your press release and carry it in their publications with slight editing or no alteration. But even if it's not used word for word, journalists may use it as fodder for other stories or to create their own story ideas. The more information and details you include, the less work the media has to do.

3. Think like the reader: Your press release should be able to keep the reader's interest. Put yourself in the reader's shoes. Would you want to read your press release?

4. Make it relevant: Try to point out real examples to support the message you want to communicate. Show why your information is important and how it benefits the reader. If your release isn't newsworthy, don't expect anyone to read it.

5. Support your story with real facts: Facts make your point stronger and tell the journalist you've already done much of the research for them. If you pull facts from other sources, make sure you attribute them. Avoid fluff and add-ons. And never make anything up. If content seems too good to be true, tone it down or you could hurt your credibility.

10. dexterallen01

dexterallen01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thansk for the such nice tips. These are really helpful as press release is one of the important factor in the SEO of the web site. To get more visitors or to increase the traffic to the web site you need to do the press release in a right way.

11. simonedrich11

simonedrich11
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here are some tips for writing the press release content:
    1) Start with something worth announcing.
    2) Optimize a press release using web page optimization principles.
    3) Give the reader a reason to click through.
    4) Offer an exclusive if you can and suggesting story ideas that clearly indicate you’re familiar with the writer’s work can do wonders.
    5) Research bloggers that write about the topic and pre-write a summary of the release for them.
    6) Use social bookmark sites as a clipping service.

12. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is one of the most useful threads that I have read in quiet a while and is a reminder of why it is useful to participate in forums.

We have had 2 press releases written for us recently for SEO purposes. The first was well written even though the article was re-engineered material from our home page but it gave me an idea of how to structure and optimise articles. The second was quite cringe-worthy but at least I was given the chance to amend it before it was submitted.

This thread has definitely given me a few more things to think about. Thanks.

13. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One other thing is that if you can tie it into a hot topic in the news, even better. An example is a press release I wrote for a website called FamilyLobby.com. It offers families their own free mini-sites to meet and keep up with each other's lives.

At the time all the news talked about was the economy and the financial straits people were in. It was just before Christmas, traditionally a time when both money worries are at their peak for families and gatherings are common. The angle I came from was that it was cheaper to reunite your family online than pay travel costs to go all over the country.

Here's the archive of it at Reuters.

If you brainstorm a little, you'll find a tie-in to news trends. However don't force one! If it sounds too far-fetched, it is. Better to skip that step than send out something ludicrous. You'll do more damage than good (if it even manages to make it past the editor's desk).

14. davidemarsh01

davidemarsh01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Tips for Writing Press Releases :

- Get to the point of the message you’re trying to get across in the headline. Don’t worry about not being able to fit in as much information as possible in the headline.
    - Avoid using flowery language, buzzwords, jargon, bureaucratic phrasing or clichés. This only clutters your message and will also make the release unnecessarily longer than it should be. The only time to use jargon would be if your audience were already familiar with such language.
    - This writing model allows the reader to find out the most important information first, with the less important information to follow.
    - No matter how important you think length, remember it’s up to your audience to make up their minds as to its newsworthiness.
    - This should always be at the bottom of the page and it should also be comprehensive, including Web site addresses, e-mails and fax numbers.

15. sshayndell12

sshayndell12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Would a press release get notice if it's for something free and a website only?

16. allyroghur

allyroghur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

These are nice tips abkout writing the press release. As basic press release about your website’s launch can be released to several PR websites, who will distribute it to various online news outlets. A good way to get a free link. I recommend using PRWeb and PRLeap.

17. revardwatson

revardwatson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

These are amazing tips for writing the press releases in the SEO. As press release is pseudo-news story, written in third person, that seeks to demonstrate to an editor or reporter the newsworthiness of a particular person, event, service or product.