Tips for Getting a Good Night's Sleep

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by Fergal, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Quality sleep is essential to quality of life and when our sleep begins to suffer so can our health. Here are my tips for getting a good night's sleep.

• Reduce consumption of tea, coffee and other caffeine drinks, especially in the evening and at night time
    • Before you go to bed at night, write down a list of everything you want to do the next day. This helps reduce stress, by bringing clarity and order to your thoughts regarding what you need to get done
    • Try to go to bed and get up about the same time everyday, this helps your body to establish a routine and makes it easier to fall asleep
    • Have a cup of hot milk before you got to bed
    • Be careful with alcohol, it can upset your sleep patterns
    • Avoid heavy meals before going to bed
    • Try to sleep in a comfortable room, that is not too hot or too cold
    • Do some meditation in the evening, to relax your mind and aid sleep
    • Read in bed for a while.

• Like Like x 6
  2. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal Your tips are great and hope will be hopeful for lot of people here.

Here is an additional one which works best for me-

* Do as much work as possible all the day till you get tired, Tiredness gives you best sleep...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Eddie Arrieta

Eddie Arrieta
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HOw long should someone sleep to be able to work properly without health issues?

4. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@Fergal: Before I was really being weirded out because I usually drink strong coffee but still makes me really sleepy and I don't know why. Drinking milk on the otherhand is making me feel awake. (Shouldn't it be the other way around O______O ).

Reading is really effective though but I get all drowsy when I read.

@ Eddie Arrieta: Everyone should have at least 8 hours of sleep.

• Like Like x 1
  5. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am watching TV til I fall asleep. I just set a sleep time in order to turn off my TV automatically when I fall asleep. Another thing is that I always eat fruits at night. I don't know it's significance but I makes my sleep good and waking up in the morning is great as well.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

As cesspadilla said, the recommendation is eight hours of quality sleep per night.

I'm surprised by that one cesspadilla, it normally is the other way round. Just goes to show that everyone is different :)

That's interesting about fuit Eureka, generally I find fruit difficult to digest late in the day and usually try to avoid it in the evening. I might just try eating some soft fruit at night and see how it works out. What type of fruit do you normally eat at night time?

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think It really depends on the type of individual and activities they are involved in...I have seen my people in my country working whole day and takes only 4 hours of sleep..Still they always sound fresh and energetic....Strange but anyone can witness these days...

• Like Like x 1
  8. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some people have problem sleeping at night. They can't sleep when they want to. I have faced this problem myself. I agree with Fergal that meditation or Yoga can help you to sleep well. It makes body relaxed and stress-less. The other thing exercise can make your body tired, so you can get sleep. It is helpful for people who think excessively. Sleep is really necessary for everybody even a computer has to restart or shut down. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. angelOnEarth

angelOnEarth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Drinking milk doesn't work for me either and heavy meals make me want to sleep (talk about being lazy). :) But I'm thinking of writing my to-do list before going to sleep, this way i don't have anything to think about because I wrote it on paper.
    Thanks for the tips, Fergal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Writing a to do list has really worked very well for me. When you feel overwhelmed by the amount of work you have to do, it is amazing how much calm and clarity you can achieve just by writing a to do list.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ralphnelson

ralphnelson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

superb ideas :)

12. Guitarhermit

Guitarhermit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's great that you're able to fall asleep when watching tv however I wouldn't advise letting it become a daily habit in your life. It's bad for one's body to continually sleep immediently after watching tv/being on the computer for a long period of time. However you might be an exception :p

13. clairebaf

clairebaf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with this. I try to do things or work as much as possible, anyway I easily get tired. :)

14. kenzo

kenzo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that in most cases people can't sleep because of stress. The ability to calm down and stop thinking about the job, finances, family problems is crucial and will help in falling asleep.
    Also opening a window for 15 minutes before seems to be a good idea, fresh air always works for me :)

15. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You forgot one: Don't sleep with a spouse or partner whose snoring sounds like a freight train rumbling through your bedroom.

16. BacklinksInc

BacklinksInc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A glass of warm milk, always seems to help :)

17. Biz

Biz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I especially like the "Do some meditation" part. When I was little, my mom was so busy she routinely had only a few hours' sleep at night, but by doing meditations, she caught up with her sleep. She said 15 minutes of good meditation could be as restful as 2 hours of sleep. Of course that's after years of practices.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good tips, was already aware of most of these and have found them to be very accurate.

I also find listening to music via earphones helps me sleep, but that's down to personal preference. Anyone struggling to get to sleep could maybe try it though?

#18 Jay., Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  19. Sheebha

Sheebha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Being physically tired really contributes to a good night's sleep and that doesn't happen to most of us who work in offices these days, remember when you were a kid, ran around all day and collapsed at night? Having daily exercise as a part of your routine contributes strongly to your body relaxing at night.

• Like Like x 1
  20. vikaskumar11233

vikaskumar11233
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Heyi Fergal your tips for best sleep in night are really great. Thanks for sharing these tips. Please tell what if some one implement all these tips every day and still does not get sleep early.