Tips for a Successful Virtual Business Relationship

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by KacieParker, Jan 4, 2012.

1. KacieParker

KacieParker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

10 Things Employers Need For Successful Virtual Business Relationships

Hiring a virtual assistant can be an effective step toward making any business process run smoothly and efficiently. However, it is often difficult to imagine the details involved in delegating work and reaching goals using an assistant that one might never meet face-to-face. Here are the top 10 things business owners should determine before hiring an assistant so that the process is smooth and the benefits become obvious immediately.

1. Determine Goals:
    Business owners need to determine what they want out of the virtual business relationship. Maybe they are looking to improve efficiency, delegate tasks which happen on a regular schedule but don't need their direct attention, or they are hoping to automate aspects of their business process. Clear goals will provide instant motivation for the assistant.

2. Determine Deliverables:
    Upon hiring, or maybe on a contractor's first day of work, business owners need to set what they expect to receive from the assistant and when. Organizing and indicating deadlines will help both parties stay on task.

3. Clear Job Description:
    Clearly identifying which tasks the owner will be delegating to the contractor and how they can be completed satisfactorily will allow the contractor to know their exact duties and improve the relationship. A clear job description should be made during the recruitment process or before officially hiring any contractor.

4. Share Schedules:
    Sharing a virtual schedule or calendar with the assistant will allow the relationship to more closely resemble that of an assistant with physical proximity.

5. Work Ethics:
    It is important for business owners to be very clear about what the most important to him or her. If timeliness is at the top of the list, making it clear to the assistant will help in satisfaction of both parties.

6. Clear Training Process:
    If the owner has specific duties that the assistant will need to be trained for, this training process should be clear, concise and easy-to-follow. It should be established early, or immediately upon hiring, so that work can commence at the highest level. This will also be a great motivation factor for any virtual staff.

7. Motivation:
    Motivation in the form of feedback is very important, since positive feedback will help the assistant know that they are performing up to standard, and constructive feedback on areas for improvement will help correct issues as they happen.

8. Timely Feedback:
    Feedback in a timely manner from the owner on work completed is essential for the business relationship to grow and mature and will ensure errors aren't repeated.

9. Appraisal:
    An appraisal process scheduled at regular intervals should involve discussion of things done well and things to set as new goals for the next time period. Appraisal can also involve discussion of a possible raise or other performance-based reward. Another great motivation tool to drive your virtual staff to excel and exceed your expectations.

10. Modeling:
    Modeling an efficient business relationship and a structured way of organizing tasks are two best practices business owners can do to set an example of what the virtual contractor is expected to do.

Making a very clear list of needs and desired deliverables will help any business owner to determine exactly what they expect and need from an assistant, and will allow the assistant to do their very best work to meet goals and deadlines and create a very profitable business relationship for all parties.

By: Cairyn Orido
    Source: ezinearticles.com/?10-Things-Employers-Need-For-Successful-Virtual-Business-Relationships&id=6781209

2. sallya121

sallya121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I worked for one of my customers as an assistant before .We worked well .It is very important to communicate well each other and
    understand each other because there are 2 people from 2 different countries.

3. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have not tried having a virtual assistant yet but I can see a lot of offers for virtual assistants. Is it okay or really worth the money having a virtual assistant?
    I think I can do things on my own without actually needing a virtual assistant so I don't take time hiring or getting one.

4. bhollen76

bhollen76
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is a very informative post for me.

5. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmmm, I've never thought of hiring a virtual assistant...I'll have to put a little more thought into this because it sounds like it could be a pretty good investment.

6. infinityweb

infinityweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Always satisfy your clients with a very good output. Build a strong platform of professional relationship with them.

7. nvir477

nvir477
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I worked for one of my customers as an assistant before .We worked well .It is very important to communicate well each other and
    understand each other because there are 2 people from 2 different countries.

8. Arro12

Arro12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great list. Love the mark on clear, concise training processes for every employee or assistant. Proper training is all about productivity without sacrificing the employee's ability to digest all the necessary info. Things like e-learning applications, as long as they're constructed within proper time frames, can help instruct assistants and employees better than long-winded meetings. And as long as you provide these video tutorials in a cloud-based setting, the office can easily come back for a refresher, if need be. Companies like Skill Soft and ej4 and other software companies out there have more in-depth information on training.

9. PWessler

PWessler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great post. I definitely think the key to a successful business is motivation. A relationship between employee/employer is contingent on motivation. There's no denying that it is the driving force behind each and everyone of us. Ive worked at several jobs where motivation was stomped out the moment you set foot in the door. Some employers feel the need to assert their dominance over employees instead of seeing them as a vital piece to a successful organization. Motivation=success/happy employees