Time spent writing your To Do list?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Using a to do list has really helped me to improve my effectiveness and productivity. It works best when I write the day's list, the previous evening and put the most important tasks at the top of the list. Normally I only spend five or ten minutes every evening writing my list.

Recently I've been thinking that it could be very productive to spend a lot more time on writing a To Do list, perhaps from thirty minutes to an hour. If you work long hours during the day, could you benefit from spending an hour of that time preparing for the next day's work and really taking the time to plan your day? Would this be over planning or would it be a helpful step towards your success?

If you write a To Do list, how long does it take you? Would you benefit from spending more time on it?

2. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I write To Do list several times, but the main problem is I am never able to follow it. It usually takes half an hour or one hours to write it but it is really good because with it your time is never wasted. If you can follow your To Do list then can be a handy tool to do good amount of work daily.

3. Greathosting

Greathosting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, I do writing to do list not at the particular time basis but I am writing whenever I think something need to be done, and put it on schedule in agenda book. Its better writing to do list in booklet like agenda book or to do list book especially has printed date on it, so we could track days forward and backward. Its easier to check the task which one has done or need to be done. ;)

However, Organizing is part of productive method in our live, we should do the same thing for Shopping List as well, to avoid forgotten.. :dunno::D

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why can't you follow it Sahil, if you put your most important tasks at the top of the list, why would you spend your time working on something less important? I know that it's not as easy as that, but after a lot of practice and self-discipline it is working for me.

Thanks Greathosting, that is a good idea re the book or diary, I date every list I make and keep it in a folder, for future reference. One thing I should probably do, is review my lists regularly to get an overall view of my progress.

5. scarycaravan medi

scarycaravan medi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I ALWAYS write 'To-Do' lists.

It really does help me focus and know what I have to do. I have weekly 'To-Do's' which I write on an A4 sheet and pin it to the wall, I then tick off as I go.

All the best

Jason

6. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I try my best every time but it's really hard, several times I get my friends online chatting with or anything like that comes in my way, and I get deviated.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sahil, it might help to keep your IM switched off, until you have one or two tasks fully completed, then turn it on as a reward to yourself for having completed those tasks. Alternatively you could try, scheduling certain times during the day, for chatting to your friends.

8. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a good suggestion Fergal, I will try it after 2 or 3 days and will reply what I did in that. :)

9. lentrepot

lentrepot
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never spent time to write my "to do list" because there's a tendency that I might forgot it anyway. :D

10. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have always my to-do list for the week. It's very effective to have this on a weekly basis though. You can see the progress and can refine the results.

11. ZacharyTaylor

ZacharyTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One basic hint of successful life. You write every thing that you want to do next day. At the end of the write again what you do and what not.

12. bascilikapeter

bascilikapeter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i do spend a lot of time writting down what to do every year as well as every month. i keep on adding things to it as and when the time passes.

13. cadehugue

cadehugue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No i don't waste my time in writting down the things that i need to do, but yes i do set up my mind every morning for things to dl all day.

14. dominicfilip

dominicfilip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do spend some time every day in the mosrning thinking about what i have to do all day long but actually don't right them dowm on the paper or something like that....

15. SummEr101

SummEr101
    uix_expand uix_collapse

normally not that long. 15 minutes will be tha max period of time. Im pretty sure by that its all ok to list all things you need to do.

16. vivaclean

vivaclean
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I write a to do list every day, either in the morning or from the previous evening. It usually takes me 5-10 minutes.

17. inTech

inTech
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To do list might help if it is a simple to do list which consist of a short prior. It might make thing worst if your to do list consist of a long time. I make a to do list of my game and.. since there is too many thing listed.. I got lazy.

18. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

I generally write a to do list for the next day just before sleeping. It helps me jot down all that I need to, without missing anything. It hardly takes about 20 minutes. We ll cannot spend more time on this with the droopy eyes about to get shut anytime!