Time Management

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by King Justice, Apr 2, 2008.

1. King Justice

King Justice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I found that outlining your day really helps with time management and keeps you focused on tasks that need to be done.

I outline what I have to do each and everyday. Does anyone else? :)

I am thinking about getting a PDA just to stay organized and managed - I used to always think PDAs were wastes of money until I found myself struggling to stay organized and well-focused on tasks throughout the day.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I work through a list every day. I write out my list every evening before I leave work. In this way, I start working on the tasks I need to work on, that day. Doing your to do list in the evening means that you can start working as soon as you are in, in the morning. You don't need to spend time getting ready to work.

3. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Time planning can definitely save you time and get you better organized although i don't like the idea of being "hooked" at a list.
    I mean, i have tried making a list of daily tasks myself though when i don't manage everything on times set i got angry and eventually "cut" it. :D

4. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That is the key Thanoz. I have known people, one woman in particular, that could not function without their list. Everyday she lost her list, which only occurred a couple times per year, she would go straight home and go back to bed, no matter what was important to do that day. One year she left her daughter stranded at uni just before a holiday, and later that year she missed some kind of deadline for an IRA rollover, costing her a good amount of her retirement.
    She was a worst case though, most do not get it all done and get angry that they 'wasted' their day. I learned a trick.

Time management isn't really about a list and getting it done, it is more about time tracking and seeing where you are spending your time. Things that you do not plan for, running in to a new client or vendor and spending time with them is probably not on your list, but it is productive.

Each day you should have a look at your list and see if you spent your time productively, and, if not, what to do to avoid those times of no, or low, productivity.

Remember to document your day and learn from it. Do not be a slave to the list.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A list is only useful if you have the right things on it. There's no point in working through a list, if the items on it are not helping you achieve your business goals. As has already been mentioned your list should not constrain you too much, you still need to be flexible.

6. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Time Management is one of the best measure to do most of your thing in a day. Writing your task of the day in a Diary or Small sheets of papers, cheats will help you do your major task of the day.

In Today's world, it's very necessary to keep your time managed. For a busy man's life, Time managements is most. Where for other ordinary person's too, Time Management is worthly. Time Management will help you be a successful person and you get remember easily your daily task once you've routine made (i.e in diary, cheats) for your everyday's task.

As well as I try to keep my Time Managed, as I'm a student, I want to devote all my time for study but beside it, there are many things you do, like Entertainments, Travelling, and So on.

7. steppysteph

steppysteph
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Time Management is not something to be taken lightly as it is one of the most important factor in getting things done. If you don't know how to manage your time properly, you will not be able to accomplish all your responsibilities or you might end up doing sloppy work.

Make sure that you allot a few minutes of your time each day to plan what you will do for the day and also for the week to know how fast you need to go to be able to accomplish everything.

8. JayonNet

JayonNet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Time Management is one of the key factor to succeed in whatever you do. It is most important thing, specially for working people.

I totally agree with "pendelton" that just "being slave to a list" is not a successful time management. It is setting priority to the tasks on list by carefully analyzing the time spent on the productive one and leaving aside the not so important or time consuming in relation to productivity sort of tasks.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Lists also have motivational benefits for me personally. I find it motivational to strike things off the list as I get them done. Success breeds success and the more I get done the more it motivates me to get more done.

10. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You have a very good point there Fergal. I wish I had thought of it.

11. greybell

greybell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I ve tried all these many times but none of them seems to work for me.

12. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to the Business Advice Forum greybell.

Why do you say that these Time Management techniques don't work for you greybell? Can you elaborate more and give us some examples?

Maybe you just need to be more determined in implementing these time management techniques in order for them to work. Just give them a chance.

13. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Time management is a form of self-discipline. It comes from your inner desire. Alarm clocks will help you to wake up early but if don't have the discipline, you will just turn off the alarm clock and sleep again. PDA is also a good tool for your to organize the activities you need to get done. I have one of this but then again, if you are not consistent to manage your time really, really well, then it is just a waste of money.

Discipline is the key. Avoid procrastination.

14. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why time management is important? as we know Time is limited in the sense that it cannot be stored for later use. Every person gets exactly the same amount of time every single day. Therefore it is important to spend it wisely, as time lost cannot be gotten back.

It is a fact that time management improves a person's productivity. More work is accomplished using less effort. Wasted time is reduced. These two reasons allow a person to take out time for more activities which increases its efficiency.

15. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think a lot of people procrastinate and put off their important tasks over and over again. If you find yourself doing this, you are not alone. Most, if not all people, procrastinate to some degree, whether it's at work or in their personal life. I, myself, am also guilty of procrastinating.

In order to prevent ourselves from putting off our important tasks, it is very important that we get down to the very root of the problem. In my honest opinion, people procrastinate in the workplace not because they're really lazy. People who procrastinate also work the same number of hours as people who don't. They're not just focusing their time with the important stuff but instead, they're investing their precious time with the wrong tasks. So in order not to procrastinate, it's good that we know what is important and what is not and discipline ourselves on focusing and prioritizing on the important tasks first.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Nazreen is right, procrastination is a serious issue that can significantly reduce the quality of your life. As Nazreen says we are all guilty of it to some extent. It is important to recognise the problem and take some action to do something about it.

It is easier to deal with the issue if you are not too ambitious and try to change overnight. It is better to change bit by bit and improve slowly, for longer lasting results. Take one area where you have been procrastinating and write a list of everything that needs to be done. Then try to do a little every day to work through that list.

17. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've learned a wonderful lesson today about time management and focus. I think it was Tiger Woods who said that his dad was a great believer in taking time to smell the roses. If you're always focused on the game of golf all the time, you'd eventually burn out. While you're walking on the grass, be sure to have a nice talk with your caddie, see the beautiful scenery and enjoy the game of golf or in other words, be sure to "smell the roses". When you're taking the shot, that is the time that you need to focus. So the lesson here is "to focus only when it matters".

18. youbetcha1018

youbetcha1018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I think I'm one of those busy people out there. But I make sure that all of my schedules are well taken care of. I have wrote down all of my tasks in one day. I think I have been doing time management ever since.

19. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Time Management is an activity that can not be implemented unless until you incorporate it into your habits with a firm determination. If you keep on thinking about managing your time you will keep on thinking for the rest of your time too !!! So it is advised, for effective time management make it in your habit to give a little time for planning your whole day immediately you wake up in the morning because that's the best time to do so according to me...

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I prefer to plan my day the evening before. But different things work for different people.