Time Management Can Be the Difference Maker in Your Overall Success

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Christi Brown, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Christi Brown

Christi Brown
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Time is one precious commodity that you cannot get back once it is gone. This is why managing your time is so critical is you every day activities and projects. Effective time management can be the difference maker in your overall success on a particular project, task, or activity in both your personal and professional life. With the very busy lives that we all lead in today’s world, finding time to manage our time can even be a challenge. One important aspect to remember is to not get overwhelmed with the process of creating a plan to effectively manage your time. Here are a few tips or suggestions that have been found to be quite effective in my life and in the lives of many of our management team at my place of employment. These can be carried over into your personal life as well.

A very good way to get the time management process going is to take about 30 minutes of your day to plan out your day. Many have found that this time of your day to schedule your time is the most important. It’s amazing how 30 minutes can really impact your entire day. There will be interruptions, but at least you have a plan of how your day is supposed to go and you can get right back on track after the interruption.

A second tip relates to the first tip. You have to schedule your time to include interruptions. This way you won’t feel like you are off track because of an interruption because you know that it is bound to happen and you have allotted time in your day for them to happen.

A third tip that I personally use is assigning those items that are important to my success to a “To-Do List.” I keep a little appointment book so that I can clearly see what I have scheduled for the day and this helps to keep me disciplined and on track to accomplish what needs to be completed.

Time management is a great trait to have and it is so important to achieving your goals as well as your company’s goals.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was raised on time management. My parents would wake us up very early in the morning so that we wouldn't be sleep when we get to school. Besides, it is a mortal sin to be late because that is a very petty matter that can be avoided. When I became an adult, that habit stuck and I also wake up early - 4 am so I can leave the house by 5 am and reach the office by 6 am while my official start of work is 8 am. When we travel, we are at the airport at least 3 hours before the flight even if the advice is 2 hours before.

3. Jade80

Jade80
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great tips, Christi. This has been an area in which I constantly struggle. I have found that if I use my time on the treadmill in the morning to plan the rest of my day, things run much more smoothly for me. I also don't feel as if I've wasted any time on the planning process this way. This also gives me incentive to get my workout in every morning, which is the other area in which I struggle ;).

4. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

An excuse most people will give for failing to achieve their goals or explain away their lack of ambition is, "I don't have the time."

There is enough time to do all one desires. You just need to allocate some time for a certain activity and it's done. Fail to do that and you'll always believe that there's not enough time whilst you waste a lot of it doing nothing.

I heard of a blogger who woke up one hour earlier each day and worked on their blog for 3 years. After 3 years she was earning enough from her blog to quit their day job.

Even minute counts . . .

5. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is just so much to do each day. Take for example the email you receive on a daily basis. Most of them are just a waste of your precious time. It is necessary therefore to be able to see through which tasks or activities are important. When I say important are they contributing to the task at hand or can they wait a bit until you have another moment? It is a matter of where you put your focus

6. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is there really enough time Redd? I don't know but it feels like the days have become shorter. Who knows? Maybe I am one of those people making excuses as this is an area I am always struggling with. Sometimes I feel like the businessman who said he wanted 48 hr days to accomplish what he needed to.

The few times I am in control of my time, I actually have to plan from the day in front. It never seems to work well when I plan the same day. The tips are appreciated and a great reminder.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for sharing that relevant post to us here. Very helpful. :)

Anyway, I totally agree with you on that. Time management is one of the major keys in being successful. Learn to value not only your time, but others' as well. Be productive as much as you can. If you can do something now, don't put it off and procrastinate.