Time Length

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by CDIRKS, Feb 17, 2011.

1. CDIRKS

CDIRKS
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Folks-I have a business site(dir4856.com) selling business books & kits up & running for about 3 months now & I am getting no business so far. I am working with Delux.com-they set my website up & they are marketing this for me .........at the rate of $107.00 a month. I have a chance for selling my books & kits thru Amazon.com. I would get more exposure & it would be cheaper for me to sell my stuff. I am thinking about scrubbing my website & going with Amazon. My question is two fold:

Is selling business kits & books thru Amazon the best way for me to go?
    How long should I sustain my present website making no money & paying $107.00 a month to Delux.com & not selling anything before I ditch it. Is there a standard time that one should keep an unprofitable website going before it should be terminated?

Thanx for your response.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I went to Delux.com's website, and could find no details about their services and pricing. Are they hosting the website for you? What kind of marketing are they doing? Do you own the website, and can you move it to another hosting company, and market using another marketing company? Apparently, you are not getting what you pay for. On the other hand, I went to your site, and there is nothing there that makes you stand out from your competition. Is Delux.com's marketing bringing traffic to your website, but your visitors are not buying? You need to find out whether Delux.com's marketing is not working, or whether it is working, but visitors are not buying. Once you have the answer, you will better be able to make your decision.

3. deanncarl

deanncarl
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Two things you must have to make an online business work. Traffic and conversion. If you aren't seeing anything, you might need to think about making some changes.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum CDIRKS. If your site is not working for you, it is time for you to make some changes. I visited your site using Google Chrome and it has some errors in it - you can view them on this screenshot. Visitors to your site will assume that it is unprofessional when they see those errors, hence they will be unlikely to trust or buy from the site. You really need to get your site fixed and displaying correctly before you start promoting it or expect to start making sales.

Selling on Amazon is a good idea - will it cost you anything to get set up there? It might be a good way for you to get started, because it wouldn't require you to have a site of your own and you could focus on other ways of marketing and promoting your books. You could also consider selling on eBay and on Yahoo Store.

5. jsingerston

jsingerston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wonder if you have any kind of written road map for taking your business from where it is now to where you want to take it? It doesn't sound like you do. You should start creating one right away. That plan will help you clarify the question you are asking of us here.

There are many questions we would need answers to before we could offer you insightful advice. For instance: What are you getting for the $100 per month right now? What kind of time horizons are you expecting to get results with doing what you are currently doing?

If you have a written plan it is very easy to tell whether or not your current efforts are working. Without a plan you will constantly be trying to bounce around looking for answers hoping to get lucky with every new thing you try. That is not a path to success in business. You should always make plans that are measurable so you can adjust where necessary.