Three Tips For Choosing a Domain

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by John1, Feb 1, 2011.

1. John1

John1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When choosing a domain name, you shouldn't rush. In time, domain names can build up search engine ranking placements (SERPs). So, once choosing the domain it is vital that your decision is correct for long term future use.

Below I have given you my top 3 tips on choosing a domain name.

1. Simple to Remember
    If you are going to be advertising, having a long and hard to remember domain name will be one mistake you may make. You need to try and make sure your domain name is easy to remember and has not be spelled incorrectly. Many problems occur when people have misheard or only catch a glimpse of a domain name, so you can see the benefits of having a short yet easy to remember name.

2. Target
    If your business/company are targeting an audience in the UK, then you are probably best going for a .co.uk address. However, if you are looking to attract on a global scale, if for instance you want to give the impression that you are an international company, then a .com address would be preferable. Domains such as .co.uk and .com usually tend to rank higher than those such as .info or .org. This however is only said through personal experience, but if you search through Google, the first 2 results will most likely be a .com.

3. Keywords
    For SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) purposes, having some keywords in your URL address is a great idea, providing the name still looks great and is easy to remember. For example, Business Advice Forum has three major keywords for when potential visitors may be searching. People are most likely going to search for 'business forum, business advice discussion' and such phrases which will of course show you Business Advice Forum. But, do not add loads of keywords to your domain URL, this will only make it hard to remember and it's not always a good thing in the long run.

Thank you for reading, I hope this provides some tips for you when choosing a domain name.

2. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess the only issue with this is that there aren't many short ones left. Even so, BAF has a fairly memorable domain whilst being relatively long.

I know you said such through personal experience, but that doesn't necessarily reflect the general consensus. I guess the dominance of the .com domain (ie. there are so many registered) means you will most likely see a .com over another extension. I assume you live in the UK because you are getting .co.uk results, but that is because of your location and those sites tend to have geo-targeting set in the Google Webmaster Tools' panel. Actually, .org's are more dominant that you think, notably, Wikipedia. Wikipedia's dominance on the Internet is overwhelming; if it is a generic search or a certain niche word, then Wikipedia will most likely be a result. Also, if you search up "PR Checker", you get a .info as the first result. It really doesn't matter what extension you have; it just matters on how your SERPs go and what you do with it.

Keywords in domain can help, but isn't a decisive factor. I don't think for BAF just having 3 words has made it a top result. There is SERPs action behind the scenes and that really is the only way to gain a higher rank naturally.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

DavidL you make great points and I agree with most of them.

It probably "doesn't matter what extension you" use for your actual site. However, my opinion is that if possible it is always better to own the .com version of your domain, even if your site actually uses a different domain extension. This is because the .com domain is the one that many people will remember and type into their browser, when looking for your site.

Even Wikipedia (and other sites like them) that are on a .org domain will own the .com version and redirect it to their site. The extension won't affect your search engine results, however it will impact on the type in traffic you receive. It would be interesting to know what proportion of Wikipedia's traffic comes from people who type "wikipedia.com" into their browser.

4. John1

John1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Indeed, there is very few domains at all left for just 4 letters.

I couldn't agree more, but as I said a business in the UK will benefit from having a .co.uk extension because of the results being shown to the searcher.

Oh no, I didn't imply that BAF got to where it is now just by having 3 choice keywords. What I mean is, they are more likely to show in search engines by using the targetted keyword such as business, business advicce, business forum etc.

Regards.