Three Myths of Career Change:

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by georgedutch, Nov 30, 2009.

1. georgedutch

georgedutch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Myth #1: Passion and Work Are Not Compatible

Myth #2: The Way to Be Successful is to Pick a Career in Order
    to Make Enough Money to Someday Quit and Do What You
    Really Want to Do

Myth #3: You Need to Be Sure What You Want to Do Before You
    Start Doing Something.

Don’t let career change myths keep you stuck. By changing some of your beliefs about your transition,
    you will actually change the direction of your journey. Happy trails!
    http://www.jobjoy.com

2. samklein

samklein
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm currently in my 4th out of 5 years of college getting an Engineering degree. I realized two or three years in that I despise the idea of becoming a software engineer so I picked up a Business minor. In reality though, I'm most passionate about music and fully planned on finishing school and working a technical or business job to make money while pursuing a career in music. I've invested waaaaay too much time, effort, and money in it now to quit and I think having a technical background will pretty powerful. Is my logic sound or do you think I'm just afraid of actually doing what I love doing?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's an interesting question Sam. When you say that you want to work in music, do you create your own music or do you want to work with other artists?

Would your engineering background help you in the area of sound engineering and music production?

4. samklein

samklein
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the replay Fergal. Considering I love electronic music the most (it's ok, laugh it up) I'd have to say the majority of work would be done alone with the occasional collaboration with other artists or producers.

I'm in school for Computer Science, and this day in age I think having knowledge of computers is essential for any field you're looking to join. Obviously finding a programming job would be much easier than finding a job involving music, but I can see it playing a larger role than not in the future.

5. keshavn73

keshavn73
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hey it nothign to laugh about i alo\so love electronic music and the best as compare to pop and rock
    ok not rock...
    but people love a pop song when its beats are making you tap you feet..:p
    anyways if you have made a few then lemme know please love to hear you tracks..:)

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sam I would suggest that there will not be too many people with your qualifications looking for a job in the music industry. The fact that you have a strong knowledge and interest in music combined with your Engineering degree (when you qualify) might allow you to find a niche for yourself in the industry. Having knowledge and experience in two different skill sets can be a very valuable asset in the workplace, that can make you unique and just the person a company is looking for. There may well be a job out there in the music industry that's a perfect match for your skills and experience.

My suggestion would be to keep up the good work at college and to do as much networking as you can, in and around the music industry. When you meet people in the industry let them know what your interests are and even ask them for their advice on your career options, for when you finish college.

Good luck with everything.

7. kbrown

kbrown
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Knowledge is never a waster and is perpetual. This says it all.

8. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

9. augest

augest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Myth #1: Passion and Work Are Not Compatible

It's my current myth.:)

10. hetalhet

hetalhet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am suffering a lot from this myth.. even don't know.. it is a myth actually (I confess.. :( )

I just know that I don't want to do job and want to start something my own in this two years.. but that is what I know :( I don't know how will I move forward to chase this?

Any help?
    Thanks..

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

12. Another

Another
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a problem about confidence .. what I do, I can not believe in myself that I could do it ..

13. Mark.Sanchez

Mark.Sanchez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good to know but i just believe that you should simplify your targets in your life then follow them as you want. A day will come when you will achieve.