Thoughts on this idea

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Arcaign, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Arcaign

Arcaign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am a part owner of a small marketing firm that focuses on promotional products right down to full digital strategies - including web development. While passing the time last night, I jumped on a local classified site called Kijiji and noticed the ridiculous amount of small businesses advertising their services there with nothing more than a few sentences, and a ton of competition. It came to me that perhaps we could assist these business owners in the following manner.

We call it Business Essentials and it is geared towards these types of businesses. Basically we will have a 3 tiered platform... in the first tier we will offer them a website where they can market their services. On the second tier we would offer them a website, logo design as well as say business cards, company branded pens etc then on the third tier, we would offer a website, business collateral of their choice and perhaps clothing of sorts. The items aren't whats important as we are still putting things together but we're thinking of pricing it $500, $100, $2000 respectfully. (however, those numbers are still in the works)

While I understand that a website for $500 is crazy low, the power of numbers factor will come into play and perhaps lead to value added products and services.

So, affordable and effecting small business essentials to help get them off the ground or to the next level..... Good idea/bad idea?

2. Jybrael

Jybrael
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like the idea and I am sure a lot of small businesses would love that opportunity just give it a try. You never know what the outcome is until you give it your all.

3. jaynorth

jaynorth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well the idea sounds very good indeed, also you can easily avail financial assistance from a reliable company. To help you to meet your demands arising from your business.

4. Tedel

Tedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The idea is not bad (I may even copy it for Latin America :p). About the price, perhaps you should consider outsourcing to maximize your revenue. In Peru, a simple website can be gotten by 200 or 300 USD.

5. atlantisrocks

atlantisrocks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Small biz ads on Kijiji are often posted by a bot or autoposting software. (For example, see http://jiposter.com/). They may not be businesses that need business services you are suggesting.

While there are many small businesses that could benefit from a website, I would suggest some market research on Kijiji users before I would launch a product suite intended for that demographic.

6. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Arcaign, you could include social media as an option for small local businesses. They would love to showcase the products or services they provide to the niche audience. Consider FaceBook, Snapchat, Instagram for instance.

7. Arcaign

Arcaign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Kijiji was just one example. While I know that people use bots to post, it still is a matter of good old fashion business development, which means talking to people.

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

We will be including Social Media as a reoccurring service should business owners want that. SM has changed so much that there are a lot of people who don't quite understand best practices and therefore become discourage when they don't see the results they are hoping for. We have been successfully plan effective social media strategies and campaigns for years, so we can def assists.

8. GodsBusinessWay

GodsBusinessWay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You may be undercharging if you're going to do all that. I've seen some ridiculously expensive prices for websites.

Rick

9. atlantisrocks

atlantisrocks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wonder is a "3 tiered platform" is necessary. Instead of offering already structured strategies, work to individualize a promotional strategy.

Why not simply list all the options you offer? There are, for example, levels of website development, many different promotional items, and various levels social media promotional effort. Then consult with the business to see what set of those options would benefit the business.

Each business would feel their exact needs are being met rather than feel they were squeezed into one of three slots.

10. Arcaign

Arcaign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

While I can see where you are coming from, we have a very unique package offering that of course can be tailored to meet any request. While we will be offering package deals, at the core of it all will still be the face to face. People like tangible items and services get lost in the noise of competition. When you bring the 2 of them together, I think there in lies an opportunity to do something special. We shall see.

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

Perhaps you are right, but at the end of the day, it will be about streamlining the process as much as possible. The draw is in the numbers that may be interested in what we offer and the goal is to offer something for everyone whether it's a large law firm or a cleaning lady. We want to help the small businesses out there and with very very little overhead, I feel we can do it at prices that are reasonable.

11. UCkeith

UCkeith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like your thinking Arcaign,

I would also like to suggest that you include management in addition to just developing a website. Most small businesses have no idea how to keep their sites current with fresh content; or how to utilize social networking. We discovered an increase in business when we started an All-Inclusive program; after surveying our current clients (mostly small businesses in a niche market), they all told us that they didn't have the time, desire or skills to keep things current (these are not websites but a hosted platform).

It actually did not "hit me in the face" until one of our client had an issue that we didn't directly support and they had no idea what to do to fix the problem. I got a call from them one Friday evening and the owner was literally in tears. I asked a couple of our Technicians to "see if we can help" and discovered after a few hours of investigation, we resolved the problem. Today, they have referred a number of new clients. At that point, the light bulb came on for me and I realized that our clients want to concentrate on their business and they want us to concentrate on the IT portion of their company.

So, I say all of this - too many business want to land the "white elephant" while forgetting the 1-99 employee business. In my opinion, you are spot on and with some development, it could be a successful endeavor. Good luck!

Keith

12. Tonylest75

Tonylest75
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can use this classified website as a client directory. And there may be the contact no. of the business owners, If they have website you can ask them to promote their website other wise if they don't have a website you can ask them for a website as well as promotion of the website also. But you should keep in mind many small business can't afford a website.

13. piapetersson

piapetersson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The idea seems to be good, the small business owners will be definitely get benefit form this and you will too. Charge accordingly because the services you are planning to provide require some extra hard work.

14. bburkeconsulting

bburkeconsulting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

sounds like a good idea, however at your price point, i don't know how you'll turn a profit. It doesn't show your location.
    You'll likely have to offer limited website features (canned templates, etc) and/or outsource website work.

How about a site similar to Yelp, etc? That way you don't have the site build cost for each person, but your site is SEO optimized, lots of traffic, and you host a lot of business pages giving them some level of flexibility?
    Then you can also SELL banner ads and Pay Per Click on YOUR website for additional revenue stream!!!!
    You could also set it up as a subscription base for the business hosted on your site ---- and have a monthly revenue stream that lasts as long as you can keep them!!

15. Remo

Remo
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

I am sure a lot of small businesses would love that opportunity just give it a try. You never know what the outcome is until you give it your all.

16. 60degreeDigital

60degreeDigital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like your idea, providing website design & development to small businesses would surely help them to grow & find new customer base.
    But $500 for a new website, don't you think this would affect your margin of profit, especially if you are developing a Ecommerce based website.

17. david14beck

david14beck
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm Not bad, At least you are trying to do something and its too good. You never know what the outcome is but at least it will give you experience and experience always matters. :eek: :eek: