Thoughts on the Alexa Toolbar?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Kay, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd like some opinions please on whether it's safe to install and/or worth doing. I see conflicting ones everywhere! Some class it as spyware though I don't see why it's seen as any different from Google tracking your searches. Their privacy policy says this.

Others say it helps improve your rankings and you should use it. Can anyone speak from experience on this please and share how the Alexa Toolbar worked for you or your reasoning on why you wouldn't use it that isn't simply jumping on that alleged spyware bandwagon? I'd like facts more than opinions. Thanks! :)

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I mainly use Alexa Toolbar as a guide on my link building job. My employer wants me to post on forums 500k and below. And I will not know on which forums to post if I don't have alexa toolbar installed.

Regarding the spyware thing, oso far, my Antivirus software doesn't detect it as one, even Malwarebytes.

Here's also an interesting vid regarding Alexa
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iqP5Ggdd_20&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iqP5Ggdd_20&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Installing the Alexa Toolbar and setting your own site as your homepage, should help to increase your Alexa rank at least a little. Personally I wouldn't have any concerns regarding privacy. Someone is already tracking most of the sites you visit, what's the harm in giving another company permission to do so? Unfortunately there is no Alexa toolbar for Google Chrome yet, so I don't use it myself.

4. John BusinessPlan

John BusinessPlan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Alexa Tool bar only gathers it's information from people who have the tool bar installed and it isn't malicious in anyway. It is a useful way to get an idea of how popular a site might be but the draw back with it is that many of the people that have it installed visit their own site all the time as this increases your Alexa rank. It doesn't have any effect on your positions in the search engines and the information it provides is obviously limited to those that use it.

In short it isn't worth it. You'd be better off just going to websites that relate to the industry your in and promoting your website there.

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is it fine to install alexa ranking tools bar, and it will surely helps you to boost your alexa ranking but setting your site as your home page (Some people are using extension to refresh it to boost alexa ranking too which is considered as illegal but still many people are doing this way). However, i dont use alexa ranking tool bar since alexa ranking is nothing at all, it is not showing the actual traffic and dont help on my site, just a number

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

GekiDan, if you use Firefox it has an add-on called SearchStatus. That displays the Alexa ranking, Google PR and more in the bottom of your browser for the page you're on. I've used that for years and it's a habit now to look at it at when I go to new sites.

Regarding the spyware, I think it's Spybot Search & Destroy that's known to detect it as such. Not sure about any of the commercial ones.

Good video! Something dodgy's going on there for sure. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, that's how I feel Fergal. I just need to convince my husband too that it's not. I'm surprised Alexa's dragging its heels on making a Chrome compatible toolbar.

I went and looked and there's a Chrome extension called Chrome SEO. It includes Alexa rankings in it. That might be useful to you.

If you prefer, there's several other extensions that include Alexa in them. I'm going to give the lightweight one a whirl myself. :D

7. valentinohill11

valentinohill11
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Alexa ranking used to be just gleamed from those using the Alexa toolbar, but they changed that about a year ago and added other data sources to compliment it. Alexa Rank Toolbar is not only used for Easy Alexa Lookup, but also for Increasing your Website Alexa Rank.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Alexa Rankings are not that important for non-toolbar-users. :)

9. Alexa

Alexa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Alexa Toolbar is best Toolbar than any others. They provide us our websites information briefly and if you are new on Internet than it's great for you.

10. marriott

marriott
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also use Alexa toolbar to check my website's traffic and page rank and it helps me to check website traffic quickly and easily.