Thinking of a contest or competition - General

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by FB92, Apr 25, 2011.

1. FB92

FB92
    uix_expand uix_collapse

While browsing the many forums I browse lately I've been finding that contests or competitions do not match the genre of the forum and therefor lack an active membership into the competition or contest. Here I shall give you ideas on what you could do for competitions.

Second up is General
    Now we all like competition right? But when is the right time for a competition and which type is the most recommended per member base?

Few Members - If you're lacking an active member base but still have a few members why not run a referral contest? Maybe give out a few months VIP or a little bit of cash for the winner. You may think Posting Contest is the best but really is it? You should have a more active member base for posting contests or it just will not be as fun for members.

100+ Active Members - Now we can do our Posting Contest we were wanting to do. We now have activity going on and an active member base to base post counts on to give others a bit of competition. For a posting contest I recommend a year or two VIP and a little bit of cash or another kind of prize that you feel would equal to cash. Have a topic showing a leader board and do not run the contest for too long or members will get bored.

5000+ members - This is the best time to do a really awesome contest. Maybe have a few contests running for a week and a winner per each contest and the winner with the most prizes by the end wins a gold prize of maybe $10 or something. Because by that time you will have had at least some donations coming in. OR how about a treasure hunt? Find prizes per each clue they solve or something. Again that is up to you.

Have a think about your member base and see what members want. They do not want boring old posts as they can get that elsewhere. They want prizes that are unique. Exchanges are there for posts. Not contests/competitions. Have a chat with the community either through a topic or through a chat and get what they want on the forum. You do not need to be strict but a fun owner.

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

good ideas, did you implement it and what is the result?

3. Grienerfren

Grienerfren
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice and informative idea,How did you get resulting it?

4. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really liked the idea. It will surely work. But the forum has to be a prominent one. And it must consist of members who are active and are your audience.