The Worst Words to Say at Work

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by GekiDan, May 6, 2010.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some words and phrases are often used to buy time, avoid giving answers, and escape commitment. If you use these words and phrases yourself, take a scalpel and cut them out of your thinking, speaking, and writing.

"Try"
    "Try" is a weasel word. "Well, I'll try," some people say. It's a cop-out. They're just giving you lip service, when they probably have no real intention of doing what you ask. Remember what Yoda says to Luke Skywalker in "Star Wars": "Do or do not--there is no try." Take Yoda's advice. Give it your all when you do something. And if it doesn't work, start over.

More here: http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-the_worst_words_to_say_at_work-1250

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree, "try" is quite a weak word. I remember someone once said to me "Losers try their best" - results are what count.

3. flora

flora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

the word "try " has many meanings ..
    to attempt to do or accomplish: Try it before you say it's simple.
    to test the effect or result of (often fol. by out): to try a new method; to try a recipe out.
    to endeavor to evaluate by experiment or experience: to try a new field; to try a new book.
    to test the quality, value, fitness, accuracy, etc., of: Will you try a spoonful of this and tell me what you think of it?
    Law. to examine and determine judicially, as a cause; determine judicially the guilt or innocence of (a person).
    to put to a severe test; subject to strain, as of endurance, patience, affliction, or trouble; tax: to try one's patience.
    to attempt to open (a door, window, etc.) in order to find out whether it is locked: Try all the doors before leaving.
    to melt down (fat, blubber, etc.) to obtain the oil; render (usually fol. by out).

Archaic.
    a.
    to determine the truth or right of (a quarrel or question) by test or battle (sometimes fol. by out).
    b.
    to find to be right by test or experience.

–verb (used without object)
    to make an attempt or effort; strive: Try to complete the examination.

–noun
    an attempt or effort: to have a try at something.

—Verb phrases

try out, to use experimentally; test: to try out a new car.
    try out for, to compete for (a position, membership, etc.): Over a hundred boys came to try out for the football team.

4. robertgilbart

robertgilbart
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Worst Words to Say at Work..?

- People will sometimes avoid making a decision--and hide behind words and phrases like "maybe" and "I don't know.
    - People who use "if" are usually playing the blame game and betting against themselves.
    - This word is a trusted favorite of people who want to dismiss you, diminish what you say, or get rid of you quickly. "Whatever," they will say as an all-purpose response to your earnest request.

5. scroozlewis

scroozlewis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most of time I say "We'll see ..."
    We knew they were buying time, avoiding a fight or confrontation or really saying no. It's better to be decisive and honest by saying, "I need more information. Please present your case or send me the data - both pro and con - so I can make an informed decision."

6. kleidmoore

kleidmoore
    uix_expand uix_collapse

" I Think" is another word that need to be taken out. Because when you said " I think" it just mean that you don't know what your doing, no assurance with your performance and at the same time your not giving a good impact to your job. In my own opinion, It could have been better if you use the word " I believe or I know."

7. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At work? I'd say Any type of swear words or bad attitude. People usually take me for any job I apply for because of how I treat the people around me a my customers.

8. ConradGarrett

ConradGarrett
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"Don't"- another word that is quite alarming for me. For some reason, the use of this word should be minimized to avoid being destructive towards a co-worker or even to your boss or even subordinates.

9. jeff1343

jeff1343
    uix_expand uix_collapse

to flora:
    got to know the word "try" has so meanings.
    so as "don't" is NOT a good word to chew at office..;)
    thanks..

10. WildCat

WildCat
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the post. I also think that some words can define less confident people. I don't like people who say "OK" all the time. I sometimes understand that they didn't understand me but still they say "OK". I prefer people who ask questions (clever ones, of course).

11. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try is better than excuse.
    The worst people always say No without try
    I dont blame people when they tell me they will try and let me know the result. If this is the case, give me your deadline, i want to see the result, that's all.