The value of reducing stress for more than just health reasons

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is an interesting take on the subject of stress.

Even if you're not that concerned about its not insubstantial effects on your health, maybe you'll think about it in terms of lost revenue and lost productivity. When you get sick enough with stress, you can't work as well as you used to if at all, simple as that. See how many of the stress busting steps you take out of the 12 suggested. I can say 3 out of 12, so I think it's time for a reevaluation! Anyone got any more ideas?

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well, 4 out of them are being used which is sport, travel, sleep and figure out the problem/write a plan.
    however, it will depends on what worst the stress accumulated....lol
    I used to travel once or more every year, not only to release the stress but also open my mind and re-charge myself

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Out of the 12 recommendations I do the following;
    • Exercise - I walk and jog 3/4 times per week.
    • Writing down values and goals - I set monthly and longer term goals. I have written down lists of values but should spend some time prioritising my most important five values & setting a goal for each of those.
    • Sleep - I feel that I get enough. Sleeping too much makes me feel tired and sluggish.
    • Friends and relationships - as mentioned in the article, I try to attend one social event or gathering per week.
    • Pet - I have a cat that lives outdoors, it came with my house. I feed it and ensure it's basic needs are met, but other than that it really doesn't get much attention.
    • Travel - I do it a little and am heading to a concert with a one night stay away later in the month.
    • De-clutter - this is a constant effort for me, I'm learning to bin or recycle more all the time
    • Turn off the TV - I really don't watch it very often, I prefer to read or browse the Internet.

I don't do the following;
    • Keep a journal - I can see how it might help, perhaps it's something I should start. I wonder would a blog work, or would the fact that it's public stop me from using it properly.
    • Pray / meditate - I'm not a religious person, but I should probably work some meditation into every day. I wouldn't be exactly sure how to start and would need to do a little research on it.
    • Volunteering - I do this on occasion, but really I don't do enough at all.

Things I should improve immediately;
    Write down my 5 priority values and add goals to them.
    Learn the basics of meditation and start practising it occasionally.

4. brownnataly21

brownnataly21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's a well-nown fact that stress can be expensive, but not every employer realizes it.Only some bosses think about extra work activities to workers.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I meditate, Fergal. Not as often as I'd like anymore but I do it. Ask me anything. :D

For beginners, it's best to just start by sitting quietly for about ten minutes with your eyes closed and paying attention to your breath going in and out your body. In through your nose and out through your mouth, long slow breaths. Sit in a comfy chair and wear comfortable clothing.

Be sure you'll be undisturbed. Dim lights and turn off anything like cell phones. When you're deep into it a phone ringing can give you a real fright, so minimize all distractions.

You'll find the hardest part is clearing your mind and that takes practice. Just let thoughts float in and out. Don't try to suppress them, just observe them and gradually the mind chatter eases.

Visualizaton can come later, but you can imagine yourself by a lake or wherever would be a pleasant spot for you too. If you want a little help, you can find guided meditations on YouTube as well, where you listen to them and follow instructions. My favorite is at another site. It's called Secret Garden. You do need to register to access it but it's free to do so.

Once you become more adept at it, a meditation can stretch to an hour and it feels like ten minutes.

Hope that helps! :)

6. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

4 out of the 12 can be effective. If you make it a practice, it will certainly help you release your stress.

1. Figure out – and write down – your goals and values
    This practice will keep you organized with your daily task & goals.

2. Get some sleep
    Make sure you have at least 7 to 8 hrs of sleep.

3. Pray or meditate
    Praying helps your moral stability and ease your hindrance.

4. Do some stretches
    You will normally feel like doing it. I do it pretty often and I feel so relaxed each time I stretch.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Kay, I've actually done some of that in the past. Basically lying down and concentrating on my breathing and then focusing on different body parts and concentrating on relaxing them and allowing the tension to leave them. To be honest I hadn't really considered it to be meditation, I thought meditation was a little more complex than that.

8. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I really liked the article however I find I just don’t have enough time in the day to incorporate all of those 12 points.

I work 3 jobs so I only end up with 6 hours sleep max a night and feel pretty exhausted. (However giving up alcohol and eating healthy definitely gives you more energy)

I run 3 times a week which I love doing and the stretching point is good. I like to do some press ups, squats etc to clear my mind before I sit down to write an article or to brain storm.

I don’t agree with the volunteer point as I can’t see how that would reduce stress unless its volunteering to help little puppies ;-)…. One of my major causes of stress is listening to power hungry ego maniacs giving me orders. I suffer enough with that in one of my jobs.

I have been told by a few different medically trained people that 20 minutes mediation a day can work wonders for you so must look into that too.

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well it can be but everybody needs to start somewhere. I was trying to ease you into it and not scare you off. :D What you're talking about is more a relaxation technique where you do the "tense and release" of muscles from head to toe.

With meditation your focus is more on the mind than the body. You can also incorporate mantras. See this post on mini-meditations for easy ones to start with. I have some more posts on meditation at The Cuckleburr Times apart from just that one if you're interested. Getting deeply into the visualization side, which is the route to stepping it up a notch where you can access your inner guidance, takes months if not years of practice. For me it's a deeply spiritual as well as relaxing and energising experience (and I'm not religious either). I've been doing this for about eight years now. When I reread my post I realized my description sounded a bit too casual. I take it seriously. You get out of it what you put into it. :)

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Kay, I will check out those links.

Sounds like you have a very busy schedule rakebackblogger! You mentioned writing articles, are you also working on something part time for yourself?

11. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Meditation can be a very "off-putting" for word as they imagine a monk with years of training sitting cross legged. It is quite simple, it is essentially making your mind a blank canvas for a few minutes, and then focusing either on nothing and just on "being" (e.g. paying attention to yourself and your breathing) or imagining something positive.

It is something straightforward.

I recommend it to everyone.

12. acarrothers

acarrothers
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a fairly stressful career.

To mitigate the effects of stress I try to exercise, eat well and get a good night sleep. At the end of the day you also have to realize that its just a job and its not worth killing yourself over.

13. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm a IT consultant at present but contract is up in 2 weeks so thankfully I can concentrate on my other two sources on income which I enjoy doing a lot more than the 9-5 grind.
    I run http://rakebackreward.com and I want to ramp up the number of articles and content I write for this, and I also play online poker semi-professionally (but will be fully professional come 30 Oct)

I'm actually upping sticks, leaving Ireland and moving to Malta as well. This place is depressing me, with all its doom and Gloom and a Government that has no idea what its doing, so I need to get out.

I still cant believe FF are in Government after they have singlehandedly bankrupt this country. If this happened in France the whole country would be on strike until Government were removed..

#13 rakebackblogger, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry to hear that, unfortunately it's all too common here these days. Good luck with the move and enjoy the experience.

If you'd like any feedback, suggestions or advice on that, please post your questions in our relevant forum sections, we have experienced members who would be delighted to help you.