-----------the secret to discipline part 1------------

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by Frankers, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Frankers

Frankers
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Discipline is a very interesting subject because so many people want it but cannot obtain it. I think it is a word that is often associated with pain from your parents or a drill sergeant yelling at his soldiers. Some people say that discipline is just will power and subscribe to the just do it mentality.* Others say that you have to have a strong reason to commit to work and after that, discipline is not needed.

Everyone has trouble with discipline, including myself. I remember not liking myself for the day because I didn’t accomplish a goal. I remember not being prideful because I didn’t think I was enough. I think there is a lot of pain involved with not being disciplined. It is one of the most important things in life. Discipline is the bridge between reality and our dreams. Discipline is happiness, freedom, and fulfillment all rolled into one.* So then why don’t we do it? And, more importantly, how do we get better at discipline?

Jim Rohn once said, and don’t quote me on this, that there are two pains in life. One weighs a feather, discipline, and the other weighs more then we can really handle, regret. Regret is something that we drag with us like a ball and chain. We relive it in everything we do for the day and lose confidence because of it. This leads to a major loss of momentum and motivation.* So what do we do?

Discipline is like a muscle. We have to develop it over time just like we would our bicep. And we are all different in this regard but we can all improve. The main thing you do to develop that muscle is to set small attainable goals and celebrate victories. They have to be small enough to attain but large enough to be able to grow and learn from them. *If your goals are too large you will give up before you even get close to obtaining them, thus, resulting in a loss of confidence and motivation. *On the other hand, if your goal is too small, you will never grow. In order to develop your discipline muscle, you have to go through a certain amount of pain to develop it. This tied with consistent daily action can really make you very successful.

That’s really how to improve your discipline, but what about making discipline easier? Well, one way to do that is to have or find strong reasons to hit your goals. When you find the ‘y’, *the ‘how’ will reveal itself. *And if you don’t have strong reasons now, find a way to get them. Tony Robbins says that everyone is motivated by either pain or pleasure. The strongest motivation of the two is pain because it is immediate and we try to avoid it at all costs. Therefore, when we think of our goals, we should think about the pain of not achieving them. Who will you become if you do not achieve your goals?* What will you lose?

A second way to ease the pain of discipline is to create habits that are centered on your goals. Jim Rohn said that the lack of habits is easy to obtain but very difficult to live with. However, the incorporation of habits is hard to obtain and yet very easy to live with. Imagine not even having to think about getting up in the morning and working really hard. What if you could reach your goals with absolute ease? Is it easy to do this? I don’t think it is but it is well worth the effort. *It takes 30 days for you to develop a habit and it is well worth it. *

One thing you can do right now is go write down all the habits you want to create. Most importantly, write them down on a piece of paper. I remember doing this for the first time and feeling like I wouldn’t succeed but I did ta I still have some of these habits today. They are not hard necessarily but they are very effective in my life. I write my goals down every day, I write in my success journal every day, and I write my reasons for accomplishing my goals down every day. The important distinction and, if you take nothing from this article, take the fact that you have to write down everything because it cements it into your brain. Don’t take this for granted.

Read my second article because it is something that absolutely changed my life.

See this article on my blog at www.businessvisionary.wordpress.com

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Great article Frankers, I agree with the points you raise in it 100%. In the past I had very poor self discipline but through a lot of effort and persistence I have made strong improvements in this area of my life - I'm not there yet but my self-discipline is a lot stronger than it was a few years ago.

That's exactly how I did it. My first discipline was to get out of bed every morning when the alarm clock went off. It was a small victory but it took me a little while to get to the stage where I always get up at the time I intend to get up at. Next I introduced gentle physical exercise, I enforced the discipline of exercising a minimum of three times every week, without fail. Those two steps created a habit of self-discipline and the knowledge that I could do things once I set my mind to them. Those two small steps set the foundation that allowed me to become much more disciplined in other areas of my life.

3. Frankers

Frankers
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yea so true. It def helps other areas of your life. When your successful in one thing, you'll be successful in everything else usually.