The Rapid Growth Of Pinterest... The next Big Thing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by JPM, Jan 30, 2012.

1. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The article was originally posted here on Social Colleague.

"Every few months there is a new social network or platform which is on the rise. Pinterest is a social bookmarking site that focuses on images. Imagine a cross between Stumbleupon and Digg, or Diigo and Flickr. According the the founders Pinterest has been in development since 2009 and a working website since 2010. Every new member currently has the option the invite some of their friends, who in turn can do the same. As was the case initially with Google+, Pinterest are stopping it from being completely open just yet. I would assume so they can control the growth of the site and nurture a ‘special’ feeling about becoming a member.

So, when you “pin” something you share an image and link to the original content you found online. You can browse online and pin just about anything visual you see, perhaps images of your favourite cities, landscapes, artists or portraits. In the case of our account we like to find some infographics to add to our boards.
    So why is Pinterest gaining such popularity and so quickly? Well I think there is a lot to be said for social bookmarking in this way. It is easy on the eye, exceptionally engaging, and most of all fun. Whilst looking around the site for the first time I found myself browsing endless images and photos I wouldn’t have noticed elsewhere. From really interesting 50s art, to interior designer portfolios and more.

There’s something very compelling about the visual aspect of the presentation that has turned Pinterest surfing into somewhat of an addiction for brides, designers, foodies, students, fashionistas and those in search of the latest trends.
    There are businesses now who are starting to wake up to the potential that this growing community has, as it continues to grow at a pace that now has it on pace to become more popular than Flickr. Pinterest is allowing self-expression in a way that few other social networks have captured and is steadily allowing businesses to see a return of traffic to their websites.
    One of the reasons why is unlike many social networks, where the aim is to grow followers, Pinterest users seem content to simply find visual treats and share it with small groups. Pinterst users are interested in what’s in fashion and trending, most likely a behavior that translates well into the kind of influencer marketers are looking to attract.
    Another great reason why it’s becoming important for businesses is that links built through images are some of the best links you can acquire when it comes to actual engagement. People love to ‘like’ and comment on photos much more so than text. Pinterest images automatically link back to the page of the originating site so they create visual links, and potentially traffic.

Finally, Pinterest is a great way to say your brand has style, class, or just great design. Having your products mentioned and pinned by the community says a lot about your brand at the moment, and hopefully your future sales."

So what do you think guys? Have you tried it? I must say, the few clients that we are woking with to use Pinterest are seeing significant traffic.

• Like Like x 1
  2. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't tried it to be honest. Although I've seen lots of blogs that has it's buttons especially fashion and food blogs. I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in it so I did checked their site out and they seem to be like kaboodle.com before.

3. Grazitti

Grazitti
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Social media Marketing

Pinterest may be next big "social" thing but like most social media networks, it takes time, resources, engagement and depth to make the most of it. Pinterest is unique than other social media sites. You can create a pinboard as you want. It also offers a handy bookmarklet that you can add to your web browser toolbar, because of that bookmarklet you can easily pin your photos, videos you come across as you're browsing the Web.

4. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I had visited Pinterest before and they were really creating quite a good impact these days. Probably they will really have the potential to become the next big thing and I am actually getting started to learn more about Pinterest. Who knows, they might become the next FB, Twitter or like Flickr?

5. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pinterest already is the big thing. It's only been around for a couple of years and the "exclusive" membership aspect just makes more people want to join and check it out. Aside from being a new giant in social media, it's also probably also going to be one of the biggest time wasters (alongside Facebook and YouTube) for people to look at while they're bored at work. This image explains it all:
    [​IMG]

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It seems like quite some time ago when I first saw Pinterest. Recently I saw a post on FaceBook that Mark Zuckerberg had joined Pinterest, that had been the first mention I had heard of the site in some time, but ever since them it seems as if it is being discussed everywhere. I wonder if Mark Zuckerberg joining was a tipping point for it.

7. amac

amac
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've said this before but I think social commerce could be a huge opportunity of which we're just seeing the beginnings of in services such as Pinterest, Groupon etc. Indeed, I think retailers need to think of retailing itself now as serving the needs of the individual customer - this is opposed to the age of mass markets we lived in during the last century. I think the term to describe this is now precision markets - taking things like personalization and dynamic pricing into consideration.

Pinterest might not be the one defining service but rather one of a number of social commerce services we'll see soon.