The Pros & Cons of using Twitter for marketing purposes

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Damien Lee, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Twitter can be a great tool for reaching out and marketing to folks online. It's relatively easy to gain a large following in a short space of time. Also very easy to connect and share content with others within your niche. And there's also a pretty good chance that if you post the right content, it will go viral and gain you plenty more followers and goodwill.

The downside with using Twitter is that there is a massive churn out rate. You can count on the fact that at least 30 percent of your followers will not be active. Another problem is that plenty of your followers will unfollow you sometime down the line, for whatever reason. It's a challenge to maintain a truly loyal following over a long period of time.

Cleverly worded tweets, hashtags and targeted ad campaigns on Twitter do work. However, mileage does vary and these only drive traffic to your offer for a brief amount of time. That's why it's important to tweet often but that can also annoy some of your followers who will undoubtedly unfollow you. So a word of caution when proceeding with any form of marketing on Twitter.

2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree, it's got both good and bad sides. I have a large following on one of my personal accounts, and have had at least 3 sales from there, but the majority of the people aren't into buying what I'm selling, so it's never going to be a money maker, unless I can target other tweeters via hashtags and trending topics.

I created an account specifically for the shops, that way the people who follow will be expecting to see sales related tweets, and many are also shop owners looking to cross-promote. There are tools you can use to determine the best hashtags, but I tried one out and didn't see an increase in sales, so determined it would be best to spend my microscopic marketing budget elsewhere.

3. asbrown

asbrown
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My biggest issue with Twitter is one you touched on, the fact that only a small fraction of a company's followers will be online at any particular time. I haven't looked into it detail, but someone recommended a site called Tweriod that can analyze the best time to send out tweets based on when your followers are online. It is a free service from what I understand.

4. jteezymob

jteezymob
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pros:
    - it's simple to use
    - you can keep up to date with what people are doing at a specific moment in time
    - you can have a close up view into a celebrities/famous persons life

Cons:
    - each tweet is only 140 characters

5. rf-harris

rf-harris
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To manage you followers there are lots of tools available, manageflitter is one of them which you can use to unfollow your unfollowers and also unfollow fake accounts or inactive accounts etc.

6. PhoenixPhotography

PhoenixPhotography
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Like every other tool, Twitter can be good if you put the effort into it and if your target audience is actually on it. Like every other tool, it could end up being a complete waste of time. Personally, I use it to get the news and follow a few people in the same industry etc.