The Pomodoro Technique

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

(I couldn't decide whether to put this in here or just under Personal Effectiveness so apologies if it needs moved.)

Anyone familiar with this? You work in chunks of time called pomodoros, 25 minutes on and 5 minutes off.

I put it in here because there's a free PDF e-book that tells all. See what you think.

http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interesting time management technique. I hadn't heard of it before, but I actually use something similar. When I find it difficult to motivate myself to work on something I set a countdown timer for a short time and work on it to the best of my ability and focus, until the timer goes off.

I'd imagine that many people work in this way, in fact many of us were encouraged by our parents to do our homework or household tasks like this, when we were children.

I've downloaded the ebook but haven't read it yet Kay. Have you read it?

3. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can't remember who it was but a great entrepreneur works in 10 min intervals. The things I like about this in principle is that you can leverage the idea by talking yourself into doing the thing you are putting off or really dreading by setting I'm only going to do 10min. Easy to decide to get it over with and of course when you start it is easy to do more than 10 min because it's never as bad as you thought.

I do try to put time limits on every task and aim for 30min chunks usually then stand up, stretch, get a cuppa etc so although I haven't read the e-book I wonder if I'm doing something similar?!

4. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well even i follow the similar approach.there are days when i am low on energy and motivation then i work in 30 minutes bursts with utmost focus and concentration and then take 5 minutes break.But yes once i get into the 'zone' then i work long hours with out break.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just started reading it last night, Fergal. I'll share my thoughts on it when I'm finished so as not to give half an assessment. Hopefully others shall too. :) Speaking of countdown timers, e.ggtimer has one specifically for this that cycles 25 mins work and 5 mins break. You just put in http://e.ggtimer.com/pomodoro

I'm very new to it and have found already that I'm okay as long as I don't leave my desk. If I get up and go in the kitchen, I end up starting to do something in there and the 5 mins is exceeded. So unless I'm just grabbing a coffee and getting right back to my desk, I stay put. I'm finding it helpful so far and no doubt I'll get more out of it once I finish reading that.

Yes you are as far as I can tell. :)

On the 10 minutes: I read a similar concept from Leo Babauta of Zen Habits (excellent blog btw) before about doing things you're putting off in "ridiculously easy chunks" I think is how he put it. Like if you don't want to exercise, do it for 5 minutes only. Everyone can find 5 minutes. You can't say I don't have time. Or if you want to write an e-book, write three sentences at a time. Everyone has time for three sentences in a day. And so on. :) Gradually you'll increase the time you spend on the task all by yourself. The biggest problem is often getting started, not the work itself.

Thank you Rebecca for beautifully illustrating what I said there. :)

#5 Kay, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you think there are times when you could work longer than the 25 minutes and that the 5 minute break would be a distraction that breaks your concentration on your work?

7. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well i use this short burst approach when i am low on energy and motivation.but when i am motivated enough and rejuvenated then i carry on for long hours with out taking break.

these short bursts are meant for only those cases when you are low on motivation ,energy and want to put off a work which is most urgent.

8. haramarcuse

haramarcuse
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, there's no right or wrong in managing time because we do things differently. Never heard about promodoros before but after reading the post, the information on it will really help those who encountered problem in organizing and managing their time.

9. martinhames

martinhames
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As we do things differently, for me there is no right or wrong in managing time. People who face trouble managing time can try the Pomodoro technique.