The Perfect Employee or Perfect Storm

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by wholesalelady, Dec 7, 2015.

1. wholesalelady

wholesalelady
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys Wholesalelady here. I'm a small biz owner employing 40 people it's been a long, hard, 30 year climb but I've have had a blast along the way. I know it's time for me to slow down and step back from work awhile. So here's my dilemma I have an employee he's in his mid 30's no with formal education he's a high school dropout who's more by far more motivated, intelligent (I'd guess borderline genius) and capable the any MBA I have ever seen in thirty years of business. On paper he looks terrible but would trust him over any other (including my own children) to run the business in my absence. My maybe irrational fear is if he learns the inner workings of my business he although lacking some resources could in effect put me out of business as a potential competitor sometime down the road. I'm I being a irrational old woman? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Many Thanks and God Bless.

2. BA

BA
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

First of all congratulations!!! Building up a 40 person company is a great achievement!!

Seems like a reasonable fear. Just remember that anybody can become a competitor at any time. Also, for this person to become a serious competitor would take some major diligence. Not to mention really sabotaging your relationship. Even so people fail when they should succeed and succeed when they should fail. What if this person is really smart as you say but is terrible at managing employees or is a bad accountant.

My background is all in IT so I have had many experiences with user access and permissions. Maybe you should just give them access to the documents and any other items necessary but lock down anything that you aren't comfortable sharing with anybody.