The next big trend in social media marketing in 2011?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by pauline, Feb 17, 2011.

1. pauline

pauline
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What will be the next big trend in social media marketing in 2011?
    Do you think the current social media marketing tools and networks, like Facebook and Twitter, will continue having most of the power, or are there up-and-coming tools that will start to take over this year? How do you think social media marketing will evolve over 2011?

Have a nice evening ;)

Pauline

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I believe that the existing social networking sites such as FaceBook and Twitter will face steep competition in the next few years. that competition may well come from sites that we have not heard of yet or it may come from an existing company such as Google launching something amazing in the social networking field. It's difficult to know what the future holds, if I knew I'd probably be a lot wealthier than I am now :)

3. GeeOne

GeeOne
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is possible some new social networking with new ideas, may come up?

Is it possible the forums may be give the competitions to social networking ??? :cool:

G!

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I believe that social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter will grow in the next few years. But once a very tough competing site comes up, their market share might go down. Like Fergal said, it's very hard to know what the future lies for us.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Most forum software packages have been adding new features such as groups and enhanced member profiles, to make them more like social networking. However, my opinion is that the competition is actually the other way round, social networking sites are a serious competitive threat to forums.

Personally I prefer forums and enjoy spending my time on them, more than I do social networking, however there are many people who now spend time on social networking sites that they previously spent being active on forums.

6. pauline

pauline
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your are alright I believe in the power of forums.. ! Good sharing thanks all ;)

Pauline from entreper

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree. It's really enjoyable to become a part of a large forum since you can meet many people worldwide.

8. SocialMo

SocialMo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a great thread. I do see the positive points on both Forums and Social Networking sites. Maybe the next evolution is a Forum with Social Networking components built in? Has anyone seen anything like that?

There has been a lot of hype on the new startup Quora.com. Which is currently an Question and Answer site combined with Social Networking. It seems these days, because of the current success of Facebook and Twitter, there are sites trying to integrate Social Networking into older forms of Internet communication.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

This forum has some elements of social networking in that you have a profile page and members can leave visitor messages for each other.

I had a look at the Quora site, it gave me an error message when I first tried to register, when I got registered and tried to post a question it told me to "Use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation" and wouldn't accept the question. It didn't give me any suggestions as to what to do next and the grammar and punctuation looked fine to me so I gave up on it.

10. jonathan10387

jonathan10387
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I heard few days back that Google and face book are trying to buy Twitter. What you think what will happen in such case??

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There has been mention of that for a little time now on various websites. I wonder will it happen, if I was to bet on it I'd say that Google would be the most likely buyer.

12. jsingerston

jsingerston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have to wonder if the Facebook movement just acted as a way to get people interested in online communities. I wonder how many of those Facebook people are now going to move on to other more advanced forms of social interaction such as blogging and niche specific forum communities. I think Facebook will remain the main source of online socializing between family members and friends. I think people that are more interested in business socializing will migrate away from Facebook to more niche specific communities.

13. SocialMo

SocialMo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

Good point about the social networking elements this forum has. I remember when forums were very different, they have definitely evolved alot. Forums seldom gets mentioned in today's tech news but I still think forums are a very important method of communication on the internet.

Re: Quora: Very interesting. I do know that Quora is quite a new startup and might still be working out some bugs. They are trying very hard to adjust their algorithm so that questions are asked in a certain way. It seems that their algorithm is too strict. I will check it out too and let you know what I find.

One impression I get regarding Quora so far is that many employees and even founders of popular technology companies are on the site answering questions.

I wonder if they are going to be a fad and fade away or are they going to take off.

#13 SocialMo, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  14. GeeOne

GeeOne
    uix_expand uix_collapse

IMO The social bookmarking like FB, the discussion and members are from the circle or the person known to them, where has forum has members are from all over known or unknown.

G!

15. SocialMo

SocialMo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google has been on a buying spree lately (they had recently tried to buy Groupon too - but Groupon had turned the offer down). Google's acquisition history has been interesting. Sometimes, the companies they bought flourish under google (like writely which turned into Google Docs). But sometimes, the acquired companies stagnate.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I as a forum owner, hope that you are right about forums SocialMo. We shall see how things work out in the future.

That's an interesting view point, FaceBook has definitely introduced a lot of people to the concept of connecting with and communicating with others online. As those people become more familiar with doing that, they may well join and start using other forms of online communities.

I agree with what you say about FaceBook and family and friends. We have a FaceBook fan page for BAF. However, I had a security issue on my personal FaceBook account and I now only accept friend requests from people that I know in the real world.

Many of them will spend more time on sites such as LinkedIn.

17. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you guys have notice facebook and twitter has continously updated, they have always somthing new from time to time. I think this wont take over by other because of its constant updares.If there's something new I'm sure this two sites will never left alone.

18. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

the usage of youtube for the internet marketing is really increasing I think people will move to youtube if they lauched some special features for affiliate marketing

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a good point youngkia1, the established social networking sites have huge financial resources and access to lots of very skilled employees. They use that resource to keep innovating and staying ahead of their competitors.

Another strength they have is the number of people who already use them. It reminds me of how eBay's competitors struggled, sellers didn't list their products with them because all the buyer's were already on eBay and buyer's didn't shop from them because all the sellers were listing their products on eBay. Some established industries are extremely difficult for new entrants to compete in. New entrants need to offer something completely different, outstanding and game changing in order to compete, they won't survive by being just a little bit better than the existing competitors.

20. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

IT depends on how you promote in Facebook. There are fanpages that are open to everyone especially if they are interested on the topic you are sharing. It's really a good source of traffic.

Forums on the other hand is the first type of site that I became a part of and contributed. At first forums only became my activity to kill time. But as I became used to it and active everyday of my life, as of the moment, it becomes an activity that I can't live without.