The Great Google Trap — Why Businesses and SEOs Need To Diversify

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by John1, Jul 22, 2010.

1. John1

John1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A recent article in the New York Times entitled ‘The Google Algorithm‘ explored the consequences of just that as well as the investigation started by Europe’s antitrust regulators. They believe it is possible that Google may have ‘tweaked’ its algorithm to favor its own properties and sister companies such as YouTube.

While this could be entirely possible, it also shows that, with more than two-thirds of searches going through Google, they’re not to be ignored, but have far too much control over too many company coffers. And as the article notes, Google is now moving into position to fight with travel giants like Expedia.

This should be a stiff warning to companies: diversify your marketing and revenue sources or you could be next.

Google doesn’t even have to move into your niche. It could be something as simple as an algo change that sends your listing to the bottom. Sure you can recover, but what about your profits in the meantime?...

Read more: http://seo.site-reference.com/the-great-google-trap-why-businesses-and-seos-need-to-diversify/

2. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Both are very interesting articles. That's the risk one faces when a company or an entity becomes a monopoly...

I specially liked the suggestions at the end of that blog post:

" * There’s more out there than just Google — Bing and other search engines may not hold a majority of the search market, but they’re worth optimizing for. Some niches have found that while these search engines send less traffic, they convert better, making them well worth the additional tweaks.
    * Add a little social to your search -- While many businesses are reluctant to move toward the various aspects of Social Media Marketing, it shouldn’t be ignored. Used in the right capacity and in the right combination with other marketing efforts, it can be a very powerful source of income that can’t be choked off with the loss of one site.
    * Bring the offline and online world together -- Even if you don’t have a brick and mortar store, your target audience still interact with the offline world at some point. It is also when competition with other online adversaries is generally at its lowest. In my books, this is a huge advantage I like to use in my favor.
    * Improve onsite interaction and value -- Once you get people to your website, use that to your advantage through RSS subscriptions, mailing lists, community involvement and more. Encourage them to share your site address and spread the word."

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I strongly agree with that. I recently read an article discussing how Google was moving into the real estate marketing business by offering a new real estate listings service that links in with their street view. This development will pose a serious threat to existing property websites and traditional real estate agencies. Anyone in business should consider the fact that Google could move into their business and ask themselves how they would handle that threat, if it were to actually happen.

That wouldn't surprise me. To be honest I would be surprised if they didn't do that and I'm not sure that I would blame them for doing it. I own a directory website and when I add one of my own sites to it I obviously don't pay myself for the listing and I approve it as a featured listing. Wouldn't most people do the same? Why should we criticise Google for doing it?