The Future of Online Jobs

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by GekiDan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Amid the economy's many ailments, some good news has remained mostly off the radar: The at-home work force is growing, and it is encompassing new occupations ranging from radiology and nursing to auditing and teaching.

The bad news: Fierce competition means your odds of landing one of these jobs are poor. And if you succeed, you will probably take a pay cut.

For companies, home-based employees, independent contractors and freelancers are helping cut costs and improve customer service. Full-time, home-based freelancers and independent contractors in the U.S. are expected to increase by 200,000 workers to 11 million by the end of 2009, says Ray Boggs, a vice president of IDC, Framingham, Mass., a market-research firm; he sees another 200,000-worker increase in 2010.

Source: http://customsites.yahoo.com/financ...336-4-landing-a-work-at-home-job?ywaad=ad0035

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's interesting GekiDan, I wonder if many of our members have benefited from this type of work?

Working from home entails advantages and cost savings that may well outweigh the downside of having to take a pay cut. You reduce commuting time and costs such as fuel, parking, public transport, work clothes, lunches etc.

3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's surely a great news GekiDan..its good to see that trend is picking up in USA..but in India ..its still in the very infant stage and awareness level is also quite low among people...I think the rise in online jobs in USA might be due to the better infrastructure of internet based services also..in terms of connectivity, dedicated servers, speed etc....:)

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I really feel that our IT infrastructure and broadband is something that the Irish government should be investing heavily in to help us get out of the recession. We have budget day tomorrow, maybe they will do something innovative, but I won't be holding my breadth.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Same here in the Philippines. Ther are onl a few companies that offers telecommuting (online) jobs. I tried applying on one but they are looking for a more experienced worker. The more experienced you are, the higher chances on getting an online job from the said company.

6. huggy

huggy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, the freelancers are increasing, but the number of companies are decreasing, so it will be very hard to make money in this period. The online sales have decreased in the last year.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Blame that on recession!

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why to blame everything on recession...there are no real losses until you have a strategy to fit yourself in changing times...i.e you have to be responsive to your changing business environment..If you don't do that ,,,,you ought to burn your fingers....
    Though I agree that Recession has its stake on many things..But everything can not be blamed on Recession...
    I think recession has caused us more Mental damage than actual damage which is evidential...:)

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's an interesting point and I have to admit to being guilty of it myself. It's important to remain positive and to stay focused on opportunities if we want to succeed. Using the recession as an excuse wont help us.

10. muqtada123

muqtada123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i cannot agree with you scifi because i think 60% online work is still present in india and they are well aware how to get this work online.

11. augest

augest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is true that there are new occupations are provided like professional salesman on Internet employed by the online stores. They just sit in front of the computer selling their products.

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yup. From my own knowledge, there is a job like that.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

How do they make those sales, do they sell over the Internet, the telephone or perhaps a combination of both?

14. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I'm not mistaken it's a telemarketing job.

15. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Then it means they are involved in the process of cold calling..wherein they call the prospects to convert the lead after finding their database over the internet or when a prospects left an inquiry on their site..its surely a very fast way of responsiveness to customer who in matter of time changes his buying decision...

Strategy is " You tap your customer before he slap you"..:D

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Telemarketing are a big nuisance for anyone.
    I have a relative in the US who are always bothered by telemarketers. To prevent this, they used a auto-answering machine. If they know who the caller is, they will pick it up, if not, they just let it stay there.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Not all telemarketing involves cold calling. Some if it entails contacting prospects who are existing customers or who have expressed an interest in the product or service. Telemarketing also includes the handling of inbound telephone calls, from customers and prospective customers.