The Dos and Don'ts of Social Networking

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by bytrade001, Dec 6, 2011.

1. bytrade001

bytrade001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Find the social network that's right for you.
    Everything that follows hinges upon this point. And let me add, it's not all about Facebook. Some businesses will benefit more from concentrating on niche networks that may have less traffic, but more are targeted to that particular brand's consumer.
    Planning ahead makes you efficient.
    Map out a weekly schedule that outlines the specific days and times you will spend on social media. Figure out what's realistic and what makes sense for your company and go from there. Here's a sample weekly schedule.

•Everyday: You post one update at 9 a.m., one at 1 p.m. and one at 5 p.m.
    •Mondays and Wednesdays: You dedicate 10 minutes to responding to comments and direct messages at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
    •Tuesdays and Thursdays: You dedicate 10 minutes at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. to retweeting people's comments and thanking people for mentioning you or retweeting your posts.
    This is just an example, but you should definitely take the time to devise a social media strategy that makes sense for you
    Use tools to save time.
    Take advantage of the various social media tools that are designed specifically to save you time. help you by sending updates to multiple social networking sites, including Twitter and Facebook, with one click.
    Check your ROI expectations.
    Once you have a strategy in place, you'll no doubt be anxious to start seeing a return on your social media networking investment. It's very important to remember one thing: Networking takes time. Rather than expecting to see a surge in sales, you should hope to see people interacting with your brand.
    Building relationships with people and credibility for your brand doesn't happen overnight.
    If your network is a mile wide and an inch deep (meaning you've hoarded followers but they aren't engaged with your brand on a personal level), it will not be successful. Rather than a big pool of followers, it's important that you create a network of depth and meaningful relationships. You do this by being visible and engaging in conversations. Over time, these activities give you credibility; which in turn leads to building your brand and your sales.
    Remember these helpful don'ts.
    So, you've learned what you should do to carry out an effective and profitable social media campaign for your business, but there are also some things you should be sure to avoid.
    Below are the five most common mistakes that people and businesses make when it comes to social media networking.

1.Spending too much time on sites you enjoy and not fully evaluating whether or not that particular site is the most effective one for your efforts.
    2.Visiting a site for "work" and then running down rabbit holes, getting distracted by interesting posts.
    3.Not recognizing when it's time to delegate certain social media responsibilities to a consultant, agency, or simply another person.
    4.Setting up a blog, Facebook, LinkedIn, or Twitter page and then not keeping it populated--consistency and fresh content matter.
    5.Forgetting that social media is about engaging in the conversation and not just about selling

• Like Like x 1
  2. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Whilst this is not a bad idea, it's important to remember you don't want your audience to perceive you or your business as robotic. So if you are going to schedule such times to post updates, try and ensure they do not all say the same thing every day.

Personally I think twice a week is not enough for this, there are plenty of businesses out there that will reply within a matter of minutes, waiting days for a response is not good customer service.

I definitely agree that time should be used to retweet others comments, especially those that have a relevance with your audience.
    Hootsuite is by far the best tool in my opinion and is the one I have been using with our clients.
    That's a fair point and I would agree with you completely there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Missnancyalex

Missnancyalex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Social media is the biggest impact on SEO but managing a social media is not so easy. It’s so difficult to use social media as promotional tool but you make it easy to use it. Thanks for the tips and tricks.

4. garyspeed

garyspeed
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All Things that follows hinges upon this level. And allow to me annex, ıt's not all on every side Facebook. Some businesses bequeath good more from concentrating on recess networks that may bear less dealings, but more are targeted to that definite brand's consumer.

#4 garyspeed, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
  5. AmeshaRobber

AmeshaRobber
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am starting my business DropShip if anybody want to take help please welcome. feel free to give me suggestions. Do I want to do seo for it or what ever I do? if seo then where? any reliable person? social networking is good but I did not found better results for my site.

6. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

nice post and response bytrade and JPM. I still think everyone is still learning how to best use social media for all the different businesses it is now impacting. It is even still developing at a pretty rapid rate. It will be curious to see who comes out on top Twitter, Facebook or Google. It is amazing how fast MySpace just died. The social media landscape is a very vast, unique and interesting universe that is still not solved. Its both talent, education and art to master the various forms of social media available today. Engagement and Quality content seem to be the 2 biggest drivers of fan and conversion base. What is everyone else's perceived social media drivers and horsepower.

7. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Engagement and quality content will always be the two most important aspects of any social network. It's important to remember that social media is more than just Facebook, Twitter and Google+ though. There are many, many different platforms and mediums to engage with audiences and clients - from podcasts and forums, to videos, social networks, social bookmarking, blogs, RSS and a whole lot more.

Personally I believe Google+, Twitter and Facebook can co-exist harmoniously without any problems. Twitter and Facebook are definitely not in direction competition and never will be; they are different platforms and as such require different levels of engagement. Google+ is the interesting one. In my opinion, how quickly the business pages are adopted and the networks are built could see Google+ become the leader of the social networks; but in reality Google don't want to compete with anyone. They want to set their own standard and achieve something no one has done yet (Facebook are trying) which is to completely integrate the search engine with a 'social network'. You can now promote your Google Plus business page as part of your adwords campaign just like you can promote your Facebook page, you can plus one a site or like it, but most of all you can switch between search and 'G+' using a simple toolbar.

My guess would be that in a few years time, Facebook and Google+ have continued to battle and the competition will mean that both have developed and co-exist fairly peacefully whilst continuing to constantly improve their offering. As for Twitter, I would say Tumblr is more of a thread realistically.

8. Addaneye123

Addaneye123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Public networking is the greatest effect on SEO but handling a cultural press is not so simple. It’s so difficult to use cultural press as marketing device but you make it simple to use it. Thanks for the guidelines.

9. jack123456

jack123456
    uix_expand uix_collapse

excellent post and effect bytrade and JPM. I still think everyone is still finding how to best use community web 2. 0 for all the different companies it is now having an influence on.

10. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I'm starting my 2012 with facing challenges like this one. I should be able to produce a proposal on what is my plan for social media. I seriously was freaked out in both a good and bad way. Good way because it's a really good change and chance to improve in something more specific job. In a bad way, because I will be accountable for this if it didn't work out well. So I personally thank you guys for sharing this info. I hope I'll kick off 2012 with a bang!

11. jemsmartine22

jemsmartine22
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for such a nice suggestion.

12. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Any further help you need, send me a PM. Happy to help.

13. offshoreaccout

offshoreaccout
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Social networking is the greatest effect on SEO but dealing with a cultural advertising is not so simple. It’s so difficult to use cultural advertising as marketing device but you make it simple to use it. Thanks for the guidelines.

14. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The problem in social media these days is that, even those hoax or scam businesses are using the social networks to offer their evil doings. And the problem is that NOT ALL social network users are aware of it, or knows how to distinguish a real one from a fake one - that is why in some areas globally, most frauds in social networks are high in number and rate.

It is quite hard to maintain a credible business profile at social networks - with many other business competitors also gaining new edges in the social media world for their business brands and products.

15. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the gesture JPM. I was able to submit my proposal and now it is just being approved.