The Cloud is old hat, right?

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by BridgeLL, Dec 3, 2012.

1. BridgeLL

BridgeLL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I’m searching for a bit of advice. I’m still in school and I have been considering the future of cloud computing jobs. I can’t help but feel like this is where we are all eventually headed. For example, those of us who started using email before we were teenagers have always stored things online. As almost-constant connection was possible, it only made sense. Furthermore, once I started taking college classes it became even more essential to have all my documents in one place. So, for years I’ve basically just been using email providers and Google docs as my personal clouds. I mean who hasn’t?

I want to hear from you:

Do you use email providers for cloud storage already? Doesn’t everyone?

For those of you who pay for cloud storage, is it worth it?

Do you think that the security of the site is up to par? What are your precautions in terms of a security breach?

As usual, any and all responses will be greatly appreciated :)

2. pete.mcal

pete.mcal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My employer just launched two new ecommerce stores, both were on high performance cloud servers which saved them a lot of costs. As far as I can tell there are not many additional security risks. Apparantly some banks have their customer data stored on Google cloud servers :O

I think the fact that apple computers are phasing out optical drives in favour of the cloud is a big indicator. Heck even Google have released an entire laptop range running on the cloud without local storage.

• Like Like x 1
  3. abhirampathak3

abhirampathak3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This subject is new for me. I don't know about it. I am not clear about cloud.

I want to know about the cloud.

Thank you.

4. MoneyTrack

MoneyTrack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that the cloud is the future. It's convenient, and will eventually be much cheaper than any other option. I can't speak to the security of it, but I think that with all the money that can be made from companies like google, they will find a way to make it safe.

5. dgeneschi

dgeneschi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm, the question seems to be only about cloud storage, but the responses encompass cloud computing as well. Well, I think both are pretty powerful, but, I'd agree: nothing that, technologically, could not have been delivered ~5 years ago (Amazon EC2 is really just a more flexible, arbitrarily provisionable VPS, for instance, and we've had VPSes for a really long time). Still, Dropbox is probably my favorite software innovation of the last several years and I use it all the time. I also host on Amazon EC2, but may be moving over to a more economical, dedicated provider soon (can get a beefy box comparable to a $500+/mo xlarge EC2 instance for $100/mo from a more traditional dedicated provider like Hetzner).