The Best Business is a Nurturing Business

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HorizonPath.net, Jul 1, 2011.

1. HorizonPath.net

HorizonPath.net
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello BAF members!

Like so many of you, I find it extraordinary how business works. It's not at all what I expected it to be. In my first year of college, I was a Business Major. Then I took an Economics class and quickly thought I didn't like business so much. My second year of college I discovered a remarkable ability for art and design. I learned to think with my right brain! So onward to a BFA in Graphic Design and Marketing at the top of my class. Little did I know that the true nature of business would require me to think with both left and right sides of my brain; intellectually and creatively.

Before long, I found myself full circle and back in business management. But now I see things more clearly. I now know that had I not taken that detour in life, I would most likely have followed the traditional business models and practices. Eighten years ago, it was thought that business practices were almost perfected and needed only refinement. But these practices turned out to be the unsustainable path. I find that business is more like life than we think, meaning that you can always expect it to be more than you thought it was going to be; and likely a lot different. Change is not adversity, it is an opportunity.

Like so many of you, I became business enlightened. Conscious business is the awareness of how we affect each other, and that prosperity is the result of how we nurture each other; not with how we compete with each other. There is so much in the world that needs our help that we don't need to compete against each other. Yes, I understand supply and demand, and market share. But I challenge you to think about your business and what it contributes to the world. What is the purpose of your business and what benefit does it bring? We are moving into a new era of business and it's been happening for some time, but now change is inevitable one way or the other.

There are two types of business going into this new era. Those that compete with each other as predators for personal gain; and those who nurture each other for the gain of all. My business, HorizonPath.net, and myself, are nurturers. It's not chance that I'm drawn to BAF, but perhaps fate.

I am always learning and transferring knowledge. I am open to learning from everyone here, and hoping to make a difference to others. Glad to be here.

Rusty

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Rusty, welcome to Business Advice Forum and thanks for posting such a detailed introduction. I do like and agree with your concept of business in terms of contributing and adding value, rather than competing. I've liked your FaceBook page and very much look forward to reading more of your posts here on BAF.