BAF Review The Art of Community by Jono Bacon

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Fergal

uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Nov 18, 2007
    I've just finished this book after purchasing it from Amazon. However you can download it for free from the book's website - (the "You can download the The Art of Community here" link is at the bottom of the page content). Unfortunately I didn't know that the book was available for free download, before I purchased it from Amazon.

Although this book is quite heavy and challenging in places I really enjoyed reading it and would recommend it to anyone interested in building an online community or even an offline community. The book is very much focused on building open source software communities but the lessons in it are applicable to all types of community.

The sections that were most useful to me were the discussions on the importance of building a sense of belonging in a community, how to build and motivate teams within a community and I found the topic of how a community creates news particularly interesting.

Many people will equate the word "community" with "forum" and it should be noted that this book uses the word "community" in a much broader sense, with particular reference to open source communities that are built around the software itself, forums, blogs, mailing lists and events in the real world.

This book is not a beginner's guide to setting up and running a forum, if that's what your looking for I'd recommend "Managing Online Forums" by Patrick O'Keefe. However, if you are looking for something a little more in-depth and theoretical "The Art of Community" is well worth a read. On the topic of managing forums it includes helpful information in chapters such as "Building Buzz", "Governance" and "Handling Conflict".

The main action item I took from the book is related to the importance of teams and I will be putting this into practice by encouraging our members to support teams here on Business Advice Forum. Announcement coming soon!

I've read the book from cover to cover, so if you have any questions or an opinion on it please reply here and let me know.