The Apprentice's famous two words...

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Nazreen, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Let me guess...you are thinking that "The Apprentice's famous two words" are "You're Fired!", right? So, am I good or what? I got 6th sense hahaha. Unfortunately, the two words that I like most of all in The Apprentice is not what you're thinking... it's "Step up!".

When you're in a team and if some of your teammates aren't helping, you must step up to do the job. Otherwise, the team will not get the task done. When you're in the panel room with your bosses and senior staff, you must also step up and speak what's on your mind. These two words, though very simple, are also very important if you want to get noticed and be promoted and if you want to succeed.

#1 Nazreen, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sometimes it can be difficult to come out of our comfort zone and "step-up".

At the end of the day we can chose to step-up and be counted or chose to blend in and and get passed over.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that it's not that difficult to get out of our comfort zone. As long as we're motivated enough to succeed, especially with the chance of being promoted and getting a bonus, we can step-up and take charge of the situation.

In real life, you might be afraid that you might run afoul with your project manager or supervisor if you step-up but if you don't, there's also a great possibility that your project manager will blame you when the team failed in the task.. just like in The Apprentice.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Unfortunately there are people who are motivated to succeed but don't have the confidence to step-up. They will sometimes feel that if they speak up and get noticed, they will actually damage their prospects. This could be the result of low self-confidence.

I do agree with you however, Nazreen. If someone is really, really motivated they will analyse what they need to do to succeed and realise that they have to come out of their comfort zone. If they are motivated enough they will do this, even when it appears really difficult.

Like most other things, practice makes perfect. Once we have stretched ourselves just a little, this can give us the confidence to stretch ourselves further and more often.

5. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

On my first job a few years ago, I didn't want to step up. Perhaps because I don't like my first job. But now, since I love my job, I always go for the best that I can be.