Testimonials

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by RestOwner, Apr 9, 2010.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is it a good or bad idea to post testimonials on business websites?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I would say that in most instances it is a good idea to post testimonials. It shows that your company has clients who trust you and it will help greatly to inspire trust in your business, in the minds of your prospective customers.

Some people prefer to keep their business dealings confidential, so ensure to get your customers' permission, before you post their testimonial on your website.

3. Catalyst eMarketing

Catalyst eMarketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are you by chance a Restaurant owner? That’s what I would guess by looking at your user name. :p

If so then testimonials are especially important. Google local search will rank you higher for searches in your local area if you have more reviews. That's only one piece of the local Google algorithm, but it definitely counts.

Google local search is the PRIME area on the 1st page of Google.
    I'll show you with a San Diego local restaurants example.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...rants&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

The Google local listings are the LUCKY 7 next to the map at the top of the page.

----------------------------
    Having said all that, the biggest reason to have testimonials is because consumers more and more, like to check out what other people think before visiting a new restaurant or trying a new service.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's news to me. Interesting! Can you point me in the direction of some information that confirms that statement please, preferably from Google themselves or a similarly respected source? Thanks.

5. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good testimonials are especially important to business websites.

Long and short they work.

They also help listings in they often keep people on your site reading or viewing which helps get you Google love. If you do it smartly it gets more page views also giving Google love.

6. Catalyst eMarketing

Catalyst eMarketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Kay,

Google would never say publicly what factors into the local ranking algo. That would just give scammers and spammers info to abuse it. Here's what Google says about local ranking.

That said, reviews are, like I said, one piece of the puzzle. I know of around 50 elements that go into the local ranking algorithm, but the number of reviews tends to be gaining a little strength from what I see. That said, just because someone has a lot of reviews does not necessarily mean they will rank high if they don't have the other pieces in place too. This prevents someone from just getting a bunch of reviews and jumping to the top.

You need to have more reviews and do a better job of having some of the other things in place to get higher in the local rankings than your competitors. The good news is that the average business on Google local does not know how. Even in super competitive markets that I research, I often find markets that aren't optimizing for local search well and where a business that knows what they are doing could easily get on the 1st page in the Google Lucky 7 spot. :)

Hope this helps and best of luck!