Templates vs Custom Coding

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by webdesignphx, Dec 4, 2014.

1. webdesignphx

webdesignphx
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In this day and age is it really necessary to have a custom coded website? I feel like there is so many great options with templates out there and so many to choose from. Whenever I start working on custom coded websites I feel like I am wasting my time because I can create something just as nice with a template and it will go much faster.

I would like to hear peoples thoughts on this, pros vs cons.

Thanks!

2. prestonp

prestonp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is not about creating something nice, but creating something that is exactly according to your needs. You see the problem with the templates is that they are not exactly build for your needs. Sure you can modify them, but there is limit to how much you can modify them.

If you are a simple blogger with no coding skill, then go for templates as custom coding would be a waste of resource in this case.

If you are a big ecommerce site, then go for custom coding as you would have big website and you would want to make sure that everything is according to your need.

If you ask me, both options are good. It depends on the situation.

3. zeropid

zeropid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is all about usability. Your website should be user-friendly, not too unique

4. andrewc

andrewc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with prestonp
    I have worked on websites where the customer has a template, but they want to change different aspects of the template because it does not meet their needs. Often times, it is much easier to build it myself then mess with a template someone else has coded. Also, if everyone used a template, there would be a mass duplicate of websites out there, and to me, that would be boring.

5. gabriellet

gabriellet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We do both for clients or we start on a template and tweak it to their branding. Clients who have a custom templated website have really had an improvement in sales because of the new, branded design. It's unlike any others out there. One we recently completed was set up for ecommerce and branded to the client's specifications.

Standard templates work too. We have some clients with standard templates and just a logo or color change added that get results too.

I think whichever one fits your, or your clients', budgets the best. Launch and then test changing certain elements to better brand it, if needed, added tweaks to the template as the business increases. Yes, the template does make designing it much faster.

Sometimes clients want specific coded items on individual pages of a website. That's when we quote for those add-on items. Clients get excited by their website, even if it is built on a template, and then they want add-ons to certain pages. A blend of template and custom code makes for a nice, branded site.

• Like Like x 1
  6. azraf

azraf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Now a days, Best way to make simple site is using any CMS. CMS will make your maintenance job super easy. You may check Joomla / Wordpress / Drupal etc. These are market leader now.

7. jackkalls

jackkalls
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its depends on you.